Director, Customer Technology
Posted Date: Dec-14-2018
Job ID: 12551
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
As Director of Customer Technology, you will work in partnership with the Digital and Retail business and in conjunction with cross-functional partners to lead engineering teams in building world-class platforms that support all channels, including online, mobile, in-store and field experiences for products, expert advice, scheming/research, adventure travel and education events. This role champions cross-channel technology solutions and drives the delivery of the business strategy. Specifically, this role guides current and long-term application choices, owning and maintaining platform strategies and roadmaps in partnership with REI business leaders. You will lead the processes to develop, evolve and express these plans through strategic roadmaps and drive to execution through continuous improvement and agile practices. In addition to directly supervising a team of engineers, architects, project managers, and business analysts, you will also be accountable to REI’s IT and business leaders in measuring and reporting on the performance of your systems.
We are looking for an intellectually curious, innovative leader with a passion for creating compelling customer experiences. The ideal candidate can work in partnership with leaders from across the organization in delivering technical solutions that improve our speed to market while optimizing investments and enabling long term growth. You can imagine a future where REI provides the digital fabric for inspiring, educating and outfitting its members for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship. You can envision a path forward, working in partnership with business and IT leaders, to articulate a strategic roadmap, guide our technology choices and inspire the organization to action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience.
- 10+ years information technology experience, including digital, mobile and cross-channel experience in retail or closely aligned consumer-facing companies. Preference for experience with at least one industry-leading point of sale or eCommerce platform, as well as for experience in commerce, marketplaces, travel, and content/media industries.
- Progressive experience managing technology functions and technology capital projects for large multi-unit companies through information technology general management.
- Experience building IT products to enable a great customer experience across multiple customer-facing environments, including online, mobile, in-store and in the field (outdoors).
- Experience creating custom-built solutions, as well as selecting “off-the-shelf” solutions that require minimal customization.
- Strong technology skills including software architecture, development, automated testing, release & change management, and infrastructure.
- Demonstrated experience in Agile methodologies, CD/CI and DevOps model. Thoughtful point of view on industry and technology trends impacting retail solutions delivery.
- Experience in technology strategy planning and roadmap creation. Strong point of view on best practices.
- Expertise in data insights landscape – capabilities, platforms, providers, solutions, industry trends, and best practices.
- Be a change agent. Drive transformational change, sponsor change initiatives and enable others to innovate.
- Management expertise for sustaining processes such as talent development, financial management, portfolio planning.
- A strong team player with a reputation for building exceptional teams. Demonstrated ability to lead, inspire and motivate large teams, strategic relationships and third-party vendors, both on-shore and off-shore. A motivator of talent. with the ability to mentor IT talent and create a deep talent pipeline.
- Ability to influence across the organization to get things done Ability to develop trust to facilitate strong relationships across all levels, internal and external.
- Demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and judgment, in addition to the ability to make difficult decisions in support of the co-op’s mission.
Why you'll love it here
REI Information Technology is a team of creative and smart technologists who work in a collaborative environment to build business value through technology. And, we have the support of a great company to tackle some pretty dynamic challenges that will keep REI relevant for years to come. If you have a passion for the outdoors and want to be a part of innovating retail technology, this job is for you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer