Director, Digital Analytics and Planning
Posted Date: Jul- 6-2021
Job ID: 19865
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
Reporting to the DVP, Omni Products & Platforms, the Director Digital Analytics & Planning will lead two teams focused on generating insights on REI digital businesses, omni behavior and our membership journey to inform our product roadmap, optimize performance and create integrated digital & omni-channel plans that deliver customer outcomes in service of total co-op goals. Whether looking at existing data to extract insights and learnings or nodding to the future of derived and predictive analytics, you’re a leader who gets excited about data and the power it unleashes to help an organization ideate, evolve and grow. Leading multiple teams, you will design and execute a structure that supports both the ability to unearth actionable insights that drive and support digital and omni-channel strategies, as well as develop and refine our ability to understand and deliver increased relevance with our 5.8 million Co-op members. The Digital Analytics and Planning functions are poised to grow and evolve as we push deeper into AI/ML in our last mile customer experience delivery.
This role will lead our Digital Planning function in support of our Membership goals and our Gear & Apparel business. The planning team is a critical part of enterprise strategy development, financial modeling, membership growth and business forecasting. Working in close partnership with our digital businesses, finance and merchants, this is a critical function to forecast performance targets, analyzing business results and prioritizing new opportunities through methods like RICE modeling.
This role will also lead our Digital Analytics team that supports the full digital experience for our membership journey and our gear and apparel purchase path. This key leadership role will define and build capabilities to leverage our deep data assets and drive actionable member understanding that informs and grows our business. Leveraging data to understand digital and omni-channel consumer behavior, identify trends, support business partners and drive strategic recommendations will be of equal importance to building out REI’s Digital Analytics team, focusing efforts on methodologies and processes designed to drive profitable growth (via acquisition, retention, and wallet share growth) and inform the digital product roadmap.
Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Delivers analytical insights and implications along with department/channel annual, monthly and daily goals through the digital and omni-channel customer lens that supports and guides strategic thinking.
- Leads a team of professionals including Managers, Analysts, Data Engineers, Statisticians and Digital Business Planners – focusing on both business results as well as employee mentoring and personal growth.
- Manages the digital data warehouse from a business perspective to define data sources, metrics, dimensions, and dashboards to support regular reporting and ad hoc inquiry. Collaborates with the IT organization to ensure good data hygiene, integration across sources and stable & secure data operations.
- Develops and implements roadmap for data mining and quantitative methods to advance digital segmentation, support gear & apparel growth, integrate our portfolio of offerings, monitor mobile trends, support personalization & relevance efforts and other key business applications.
- Creates and implements business planning processes including creating forecasts, supervising business operations and partnering with business leaders in designing strategic plans based on forecasts.
- Leads Planning team in designing a path to growth and profitability amidst competition and constant change by helping the digital organization to gather, analyze and organize performance information, track industry and competitive trends, develop forecasting models and scenario analysis, examine strategic performance, spot emerging market opportunities, identify business threats, look for novel strategic solutions, and co-develop creative action plans.
- Partners with cross-functional teams to leverage customer intelligence to drive and optimize digital experiences with a focus on mobile, as well as upstream marketing and our omni-channel customer in-store.
- Drives collaboration of analytics and planning teams with our product management functions to feed insights into product development, inform roadmaps, prioritize backlogs with the most impactful work and gain a clear line of sight into performance impacts that fuel the growth of the Co-op.
- Engages and influences C-Level executives & Divisional leaders with strategic recommendations based on digital analytics.
- Leads and implements development of digital and customer centric benchmarks including leading and lagging KPI’s.
- Partners with key leaders in Digital Platforms management team, supporting the integration of efforts across REI’s portfolio of offerings (gear & apparel, content, community, rentals, recommerce, experiences – classes and travel, etc.).
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BS/BA required, preferred undergraduate degree in marketing, business, and/or mathematics. Masters/MBA preferred.
- 10+ years of work experience in customer or advanced analytics.
- 5+ years of management experience
- Experience with enterprise commercial data management and/or business intelligence platforms such as Business Objects, SAS, SQL, OBIEE.
- Comfortable and effective when interfacing with director and VP-level business leaders. Strong ability to understand business problems and translate to research initiatives.
- Experience managing/leading analysts in delivery of analytics projects.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills with ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills, with emphasis on data visualization skills. Ability to synthesize findings into essential insights and communicate them effectively to senior management.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer