Posted Date: Mar- 4-2019
Job ID: 13609
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by providing leadership and strategic direction to the planning and inventory management teams to optimize the financial results, inventory decisions and flow in partnership with other functional areas. The position reports to the Vice President of Merchandising. Work closely with the General Merchandise Managers to set direction and priorities for the merchandising division that support REI’s corporate priorities and financial performance. Collaborates with supply chain, private brand, stores, digital, marketing and finance to understand cross divisional business needs. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Able to develop constructive and effective relationships with direct report team and cross-functional partners; able to maintain credibility and presence within the broader business.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve superior business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews for planning and inventory management team.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Leverage expert knowledge to establish, implement and maintain best practices methodologies for merchandise planning (pre-season & in-season financial, assortment, item, location and space), forecasting, inventory management via allocation & replenishment.
- Provide leadership across all planning and inventory management functions concerning analysis, generation of actionable insight and resulting recommendations.
- Directs company financial planning process ensuring bottom up planning reconciles with company top down direction.
- Collaborates with Marketing and Channel planning to deliver an aligned and reconciled company sales and profitability plan.
- Stays current on industry best practices in merchandising planning and inventory management processes.
- Aggressively drive current and future processes and systems utilization within areas of responsibility.
- Facilitate clear communication between product management, stores, supply chain, digital, marketing, private brands, merchandise planning and inventory management teams.
- Ensures business continuity plan is developed, communicated and aligned with company priorities.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 8-10 years of Merchandising Planning experience including management, assortment planning, financial planning, item planning, location planning, inventory management (forecasting, replenishment and allocation) and analysis.
- Expert Knowledge of retail, merchandising and end-to-end supply chain process in a multi channel retail environment.
- Experience with supply chain management and inventory management systems
- Demonstrated success in leading efforts to maximize space productivity
- Experience leading and developing strategic direction for merchandising planning and inventory management processes, change management and business readiness.
- Merchandising system working knowledge and experience: with SAP, Oracle, or other ERP system preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of cost accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, supply chain, analytics, or mathematics
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Holds self and team accountable to deliver on agreed commitments.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer