What's cool about this job
REI is committed to becoming a fully inclusive, antiracist, multicultural organization. To fulfill our brand promise of enabling a life well-lived outside for everyone, we are seeking candidates who demonstrate shared values of diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism.
This role will be a critical member of the Co-op’s new office of Diversity & Social Impact. They will contribute to REI’s success by working with the Chief Diversity & Social Impact Officer to develop and lead the long-term vision, strategic plan, business model and roadmap for the co-op’s Race, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion efforts. This Director will oversee a team responsible for the strategy, execution, development of metrics to assess meaningful impact of our enterprise programs in fulfillment of our commitment and vision of being a fully inclusive, multicultural, antiracist organization.
The role will partner closely with leaders across the organization to ensure impactful and measurable progress towards our vision that will reflect and elevate the voices of the communities we serve.
The position will hire and develop a small team and will influence and inspire the actions and evolve cultural mindsets of business partners across the organization to achieve our REDI goals. The Director will partner significantly with the HR Talent and Diversity and Inclusion Marketing, Strategy and Communications, Customer Insights teams and works in close collaboration with the senior leadership team, to build offerings and capabilities in support of the future REDI vision. They will model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
The Director brings a contemporary point of view of equity and inclusion that understands both foundational barriers to social and economic equity and new paradigms for addressing them, taking a learning orientation and co-creative approach to designing and implementing strategies to address issues specific to the outdoor industry.
The Director will also bring their expertise, an ability to make sense of a fast-changing external environment and bring insights back into the organization. Provide thought leadership and help teams align by engaging, educating and connecting and inspiration to accelerate our REDI progress against shared outcomes, and impact to guide and inspire powerful REDI and social impact programs within the organization, the industry and society.
Leading the Way
- As a member of the Leadership Forum, develops a deep understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans and executes successful delivery.
- Work’s cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Planning & Navigating
- Partners with the SVP, Diversity & Social Impact on the development and execution of the REI REDI enterprise strategy and plan.
- Leads internal Committees which oversee the strategy and implementation of diversity and inclusion strategies.
- Oversees key external partnerships, and overall engagement strategy to ensure REI’s meeting its public commitments and support equity throughout the organization.
- Drives diversity programs in partnership with internal business leaders, executive D&I sponsors, D&I Councils, Business Resource Groups, and various other stakeholders
- Acts as an advisor and DEI subject matter expert to business leaders, and other vested parties through coaching, ideation and action-oriented recommendations
- Create strategic alignment between DEI/Social Impact and REDI plans and activities taking place throughout the co-op.
- Partners with leaders across the Co-op to engage, educate, and empower multicultural audiences across key markets and communities across the US.
- Serve as subject matter expert and liaison to develop strategic action to attract and retain diverse customer base by analyzing demographics, monitoring data trends, and developing diversity initiatives
- Delivers clear, concise, and practical communication to a wide range of audiences on D&I programs
- In partnership with HR, builds a culture of inclusion and cultural competency
- Cultivates relationships with external organizations which contribute to the progress on D&I strategies, plan, and outcomes
- Continuously benchmark D&I best practices to ensure effective, efficient processes and assist in positioning REI as a recognized diversity and inclusion leader in the industry and in the community.
- Responsible for budget management, planning, forecasting, and reconciliation of dollars spend to support DEI across REI
- Perform other duties and/or special projects as assigned, including strategy development and/or execution to support other channels as needed.