The Director of Product Strategy, Footwear contributes to REI’s success by developing and executing multi-year brand and product strategies for footwear from the ground up to drive market share and profitable growth for REI’s private brands. This leader leverages competitive market intelligence to develop assortment strategies and plans for all brands and product categories, in collaboration with Merchandising, to deliver sales, margin and brand goals; guides initial concept development with Design and ensures integrity of brand strategy and line plan execution; works with Operations and Design to ensure assortments meet margin requirements and have operational support. The Director of Product Strategy collaborates with cross functional leaders in Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Digital Retail and Public Affairs to ensure cohesive, highly effective presentation of product and brand stories through marketing activities, visual merchandising and product training.
- With General Manager of Co-op brands establishes and executes multi-year Footwear brand and product strategies to drive Co-op brands growth and profitability; influences and assimilates key constituents’ (Merchandising, Marketing, Retail, Digital Retail and Public Affairs) strategic plans and priorities to drive alignment and results.
- In collaboration with Merchandising, leverages competitive market intelligence to develop and execute assortment strategies and plans for assigned brands and product categories; ensures cohesiveness across categories and effective lifecycle management; ensures assortments meet margin requirements; guides concept development with Design and ensures integrity of brand plan and line plan execution; manages lifecycle management.
- Develops deep market knowledge (competitive set, industry, product, etc.) to identify and exploit trends.
- Drives product process from ideation to delivery across the product creation team; creates and ensures timely execution of product development calendars across functions.
- Collaborates with Design, Merchandising, Marketing, Retail and Digital to ensure cohesive, highly effective presentation of product and brand stories; works to strengthen retail staff’s brand/product knowledge and advocacy.
- Establishes a culture of continuous improvement.
- Collaborates with Ops and sourcing to create product support plans