Distribution Center Safety Coordinator - Goodyear
Posted Date: Jun-18-2021
Job ID: 20316
Job Function: Distribution Center
Store: Distribution Center AZ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by ensuring that the company follows all applicable federal, state, and local laws pertaining to safety and health. In addition, this individual will investigate work related injuries, property damage incidents, and recommend appropriate corrective measures. The Safety Coordinator will be able to conduct and ensure that all employee safety training is completed in accordance with OSHA training requirements. The Safety Coordinator must be able to mentor and coach individuals to achieve desired results. Responsibilities include supporting the Facilities Manager with communication of company policies, procedures, and announcements, adherence to company policies, and escalation of issues to manager level and HR as required. This job also models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Helps Identify company safety and environmental training needs and assists in developing and coordinating safety and environmental training programs.
- Ensure compliance with all company and government policies and regulations, including OSHA.
- Assists in preparing and supporting written safety and health programs and policies.
- Participates in new equipment/process reviews, including process hazard analyses, operator training, etc.
- Supports personnel in the selection of appropriate protective equipment.
- Maintains safety library and materials (e.g. videos, regulations, reference manuals, training and other electronic material).
- Educates employees on how to prevent injuries and safety issues though use of safety programs.
- Assists as necessary in implementation/support of a Hazcom, Hazwoper, and Hazmat programs
- Reviews process-operating procedures/records and provides input for safety and health considerations.
- Understands federal and state safety and health regulations and monitors regulatory changes as they occur.
- Maintain safety records and documents by the applicable regulatory requirements.
- Audits practices and records of the various departments to ensure compliance with company programs and federal/state safety and health regulations.
- Reviews accident and incident investigation reports and follows up as necessary.
- Identify deficiencies and provides direction to implement plans for continuous improvement.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist co-workers or supervisors with other duties as required.
- Maintains ongoing relationships and serves as member of the Safety Committee to represent departmental and/or overall company interests; communicates Company needs and expectations internally or externally; provides review, input, and recommendations as appropriate.
- Assists in the preparation of annual department business plan and budget; recommends changes to systems, policies, and practices and maintains the departmental standard operating procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3+ years of experience in the safety
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Safety, Health and Environmental Science, preferred
- Ability to present training material and knowledge
- OSHA certification, preferred
- Management skills including organizing, planning, evaluating of DC operations
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, to include all 24 hours of the day at various times throughout the 7 day week
- Intermediate skills in MS Excel and MS PowerPoint
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer