Divisional VP, Planning, Design, Construction & Visual Presentation
Posted Date: Dec-19-2018
Job ID: 12951
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Retail Operations
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
We’re searching for a visionary leader who has the passion and experience to create compelling customer experiences through the co-op’s evolution of physical spaces. The ideal candidate will define the future of the co-op’s physicality and take an active role influencing holistic retail strategy and priorities, bringing ‘Your Outdoor Co-op’ to life across our communities. They will deliver a differentiated brand experience for our current and future customers that drives market-level productivity and profitability. Leveraging customer research and insights and deep awareness to evolving digital behavior and capability, this DVP leads the planning, design, construction and visual execution of our next generation customer experience.
Always putting customers at the center, they will lead the way in building a future where REI’s retail stores and physical spaces are not only commerce and fulfillment hubs, but centers for experience, playing a pivotal role in helping our customers lead a life well-lived. They can envision a path forward and articulate a roadmap which will inspire the organization to action. This role provides thought leadership and partners with business leaders throughout the co-op to bring the vision to life.
This role reports to the Vice President-Retail and is responsible for all aspects of the customer experience across all nodes of retail and new physical locations. They will lead the evolution of stores to solidify REI as the authority of what’s new, innovative, relevant and exclusive in product, experiences and storytelling.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Partner with senior leaders across the organization, provide strategic leadership, coordination, and administrative oversight to planning, design, construction and visual presentation of physical experiences to meet the needs of the co-op.
- Understand the evolving customer and competitive environment and identify leading ideas to incorporate into long-term co-op strategy and approach.
- Communicate a vision and set clear expectations that both inspire and engage the organization teams and partners.
- Work with cross-divisional teams to build consensus on strategic objectives, goals and operational plan.
- Responsible and accountable for the successful planning, architectural, interior design, and project management of new build, expand and renovation projects within established budgets, schedules and brand quality standards, in coordination and collaboration with critical stakeholders of the process, as well as external partners.
- Responsible for the progress and quality of all co-op construction projects. The DVP will oversee and coordinate all activities associated with project planning, design, and construction, and oversee the processes responsible for managing, supervising, and contracting with consultants, contractors, and vendors associated with all construction, renovation and repair projects at the co-op.
- Development, delivery and oversight of creative brand experiences and visual presentation across our physical spaces guided by customer insights, market opportunity, enterprise strategy, business goals and a focus on delivering differentiated customer value.
- Deliver results and advance the strategic direction by ensuring day-to-day operations run smoothly through departmental teams. Drive decision making, demonstrate agility and show courage in taking risks.
- Define and drive organizational goals which balance the delivery of new customer offerings, ongoing operational requirements and a continuous improvement agenda.
- Responsible for coordinating with and supporting multiple internal and external stakeholders, the DVP must be adept at tapping diverse sources of information, identifying profitable opportunities, anticipating risks and challenges, devising and executing breakthrough strategies/approaches to deliver against the current and future business priorities and strengthen REI’s competitive advantage in architecture, interior design, project specifications, and construction management.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with key business stakeholders. Be a trusted advisor as REI defines and evolves what it means to be leader in the next generation of place and outdoor experiences.
- Model the way for proactive collaboration and championing what is best for the co-op, while advocating strongly for the retail organization.
Team Leadership & Management:
- Develop and define the infrastructure of the department; determine areas of potential cost reductions, program improvements, and policy change; evaluate initiatives for strategic impact and/or expected outcomes.
- Establish and implement departmental policies, goals, objectives, and procedures, conferring with senior leadership as necessary; develop, assign, and develop comprehensive plans, processes and programs to continuously improve the organization; align resources, delegate authority, and set milestones; and develop and train staff as needed and track progress of projects.
- Be a talent champion by actively mentoring and developing an exceptional team and creating a strong talent pipeline. Model the way by owning your own self-development and demonstrate courage by giving and asking for honest feedback.
- Define goals aligned with the co-op’s strategic priorities while clearly outlining key responsibilities and expectations; ensure these goals are met through coaching, mentoring, developing, directing, motivating and driving peak performance.
Why you'll love it here
As a purpose-driven cooperative, REI's business and core purpose are intertwined—we grow our business by furthering our purpose. We're committed to promoting environmental stewardship and increasing access to outdoor recreation. We work to ensure the next generation has a first-hand connection to the natural spaces we all enjoy.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer