Divisional Vice President, Marketing
Posted Date: Apr- 9-2021
Job ID: 19846
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Divisional Vice President, Marketing leads annual go-to-market planning, campaign strategies and integration, product and activity strategy, message and content planning. This team develops brand-right engagement strategies to drive membership, revenue, and traffic by engaging new and returning customers with compelling content and offers. Increasing brand awareness and maintains brand affinity across all channels this team will deliver on REI’s vision to grow from a 20 million-member co-op to 50 million members by 2030.
This role will be leading the marketing team by 1) establishing an end-to-end strategic marketing planning process, 2) telling big Co-op messages and launching Co-op initiatives that drives brand affinity, and 3) developing strong 3-year marketing plans for key differentiators and priority activities.
At REI Co-op, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived and exist to inspire and enable a life outside for everyone. To deliver on that promise, we are working with our 15,000 employees, 20M members and the broader outdoor community toward a reality where everyone has the opportunity to be themselves, to access opportunities and find their place in the outdoors. For us, that means:
- Investing in work that removes the barriers people and communities face to getting outside
- Delivering relevant products, experiences, and expertise to equip and inspire a new generation of outdoor stewards
- Cultivating a workforce that reflects the demographics of the markets we serve
- Leading the industry’s efforts to welcome people and communities historically underrepresented into outdoor media and culture
Bring your passion and expertise
Essential Leadership Behaviors
The Essential Leadership Behaviors required by the future Divisional Vice President, Marketing connect directly to the mission, the strategy and the quadruple bottom line that measures success for the co-op. This role and leader will be instrumental in helping transform the marketing organization.
The Divisional Vice President, Marketing will do this by:
- Leads the translation of the REI brand, mission, and values into multi-year marketing plan. This would include leading and orchestrating the marketing organization and key partners (Digital, Merchandising, and others) through the Go-To-Market and Go-to-Customer process. This person will lead their marketing team to develop and plan the end to end integrated marketing strategy and plan.
- Articulates the strategy, and develops REI brand stories and marketing strategies that increase brand awareness, brand engagement, and reinforce REI values, beliefs, and differentiators. Develops plans that increases engagement with and retains current active members, and attracts and grows new active members resulting in demand, sales, and profits.
- Leads strategy development and program management for REI’s suite of offerings to grow penetration in key outdoor activities to optimize ROI and meet annual goals.
- Collaborates with Channels and Planning leader to develop appropriate channel and tactical strategies to optimize marketing investment and ROI metrics.
- Collaborates with Brand Strategy leader to develop, implement, and reinforce differentiating positioning for key REI areas (Co-op Brands, Membership, Cycle, Run, Camp, Hike, Cooperative Action/Impact, etc).
- Responsible for the developing, monitoring and attaining the annual expense budget and goals.
- Leads the development and execution of Marketing strategies for key REI products and services.
- Leads the enterprise integration of key Marketing messaging and campaigns.
- Leads the end to end go-to-market-process and customer and member-facing calendar for REI.
- Leads the delivery of annual plans and uses brand, marketing, membership, customer metrics and KPIs to build strong marketing plans.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve brand and business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
The Professional Qualifications and Experience required by the future Divisional Vice President, Marketing are imperative to the success of the candidate and the long-term success of the co-op.
- Experience in change management and developing a high-performance marketing organization
- Substantial brand experience leading marketing teams that work across multiple categories and product portfolios
- Expert knowledge of marketing competencies including strategic planning, content planning, campaign development and program management, brand communications, consumer insights, and customer retention and acquisition. Also has good understanding of social & earned media marketing, paid search/internet marketing and digital analytics
- Experience developing and evolving brands through strong storytelling building sustainable narratives
- Experience in developing marketing and go-to-market processes
- Experience in a multi-channel retail company with revenue of $2B+
- Able to think big and develop big provocative marketing ideas but also can work in a scrappy and innovative way to communicate REI’s brand and value proposition,
- High degree of business acumen – classic marketing and P&L understanding
- Customer obsessed
- Executive presence - Ability to effectively communicate at executive level
- Ability to work in a matrix environment with multiple business functions
- Led agency relationships
- Ability to clearly articulate a compelling vision and strategy.
- Analytical mindset and ability to synthesize complex information, connect ideas with data, and present in digestible, easy to understand format
- Understanding of the REI brand and the outdoor specialty retail business.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
- Experience leading large teams
- Undergraduate degree and Masters from a leading program are highly desirable
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer