Divisional Vice President, Membership
Posted Date: May-18-2021
Job ID: 20224
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Executive Leadership
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Divisional Vice President, Membership contributes to REI’s success by developing and leading the long-term vision, strategic plan, business model and roadmap for membership. This DVP will oversee teams responsible for the strategy, execution and annual results for membership metrics, including the Lifetime membership program, building a future Subscription program, and the current and future membership customer experience. The position will hire and develop a team of strategic managers who can innovate, influence, and execute across the organization, always with an eye on creating value for REI’s members. Works in close collaboration with the senior leadership team to build offerings and capabilities in support of the future membership vision. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
At REI Co-op, we believe time outside is fundamental to a life well lived and exist to inspire and enable a life outside for everyone. To deliver on that promise, we are working with our 15,000 employees, 20M members and the broader outdoor community toward a reality where everyone has the opportunity to be themselves, to access opportunities and find their place in the outdoors. For us, that means:
- Investing in work that removes the barriers people and communities face to getting outside
- Delivering relevant products, experiences, and expertise to equip and inspire a new generation of outdoor stewards
- Cultivating a workforce that reflects the demographics of the markets we serve
- Leading the industry’s efforts to welcome people and communities historically underrepresented into outdoor media and culture
Bring your passion and expertise
Essential Leadership Behaviors
The Essential Leadership Behaviors required by the future Divisional Vice President, Membership connect directly to the mission, the strategy and the quadruple bottom line that measures success for the co-op.
The Divisional Vice President, Membership will do this by:
- Leads teams in the development, planning and execution of the end-to-end integrated membership strategy, plan, and process across all channels in support of REI corporate vision and strategy.
- Develops and manages the portfolio and 3-year pipeline of membership initiatives across the co-op.
- Develops plans that increase engagement with and retain current active members, that attract and grow new active members, and that result in demand, sales, and profits.
- Provide competitive intelligence and global best practices around membership and loyalty engagement in the retail industry.
- Gathers business requirements and translates into technology requirements with internal IT and Digital partners.
- Collaborates with Channels and Planning leader to develop appropriate channel and tactical strategies to optimize membership acquisition and retention metrics.
- Responsible for developing, monitoring and attaining annual expense budget and goals.
- Develops overall performance KPIs and analytics capabilities to measure the success of membership programs and report during monthly business reviews.
- Works closely with other divisions (e.g. merchandising teams, co-op brands, retail operations, experiences, digital/customer technology) in delivering membership products to market.
- Proactively identifies and resolves strategic issues that may impair the team’s ability to meet strategic, financial, and technical goals.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, develops a deep understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans and executes successful delivery.
- Works cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Leads the Co-op Way and role model REI’s Values in Action.
Professional Qualifications and Experience
The Professional Qualifications and Experience required by the future Divisional Vice President, Membership are imperative to the success of the candidate and the long-term success of the co-op.
- Extensive experience with progressive responsibilities in marketing or product leadership
- Ability to lead adaptively through complex and ambiguous problems and situations
- Progressive experience in loyalty marketing, product management, or digital customer experience role at multi-product/multi-channel company
- Experience in loyalty, CRM, or other data-driven ways to engage with customers at a retailer with strong experience in transforming loyalty
- Expert knowledge of marketing, customer, and loyalty competencies including strategic planning, program management, digital marketing, marketing channels, customer acquisition, customer experience, design thinking/innovation, test & learn, and digital analytics
- Executive presence: Ability to effectively communicate at executive level
- Ability to work in a matrix environment with multiple business functions
- Challenges the status quo, innovates, champions and manages change
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Holistic thinker who views expertise and knowledge as something delivered through person-to-person interactions and digitally
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
- Uses business knowledge, product thinking and sound judgment in the pursuit of customer outcomes or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Synthesizes insights from a variety of sources including feedback from others to reach sound business cases and decisions
- Substantial experience within the retail / consumer, digital, or strategy/management consulting fields
- Experience leading large teams
- Undergraduate degree and MBA from a leading program are highly desirable
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer