Editor, Product Copy
Posted Date: Jan-27-2021
Job ID: 19083
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Product Copy team takes marketing copy from external vendors and turns it into inspiring, clear, accurate, helpful product descriptions for REI.com and in-store signage. As an Editor for Product Copy, you’re a gatekeeper for the copy and specs on every product page on REI.com and REI Outlet. This role requires an unusual level of precision. You have a proofreader’s mind and a copywriter’s chops. You know a lot about a wide variety of outdoor gear and you know how to fill your knowledge gaps. You remove errors (never introduce them). You have a strong hyperbole detector and sweep out meaningless jargon to give customers the information they care about.
You uphold and defend the REI style guide in an effort to increase accuracy and authenticity. You have years of experience giving feedback to writers so they can provide cleaner, sharper, more relevant copy. You know how to work together with a team toward a common goal and have the communication skills that make collaboration easier. You’re unfazed by change. Above all, you aim to ensure the online shopping experience at REI.com is as engaging and informative as a trip to an REI store and a chat with one of our experts in a green vest.
The ideal candidate will have a strong editing/copyediting background with an emphasis on product, experience in fast-paced publishing environments, a keen eye, a high responsibility drive, a sense of humor and a devotion to the outdoors.
In this role, you will work under the Product Copy Manager, partnered with three other editors and two copywriters. We expect the editors to:
- Write and edit product page copy and product-related in-store signage
- Provide periodic feedback to copywriters or fellow editors, to uphold the REI style guide and brand standards
- Adjust your editorial approach as needed based on workload volume
- Maintain relationships with cross-divisional partners to enhance accuracy, findability and relevance of product pages
- Enthusiastically champion creative approaches to productivity and process
- Meet regularly with the Product Copy Manager to forecast workload, prioritize work, drive initiatives and delegate projects
- Motivate self and others in the face of consistently large volumes of material (we publish more than 20K product pages each year with this small team)
- Continually upgrade product and activity expertise and stay abreast of industry trends
- Keep the customer (both internal and external) in mind at all times
- Look for ways to enhance and improve the digital retail experience
Bring your passion and expertise
- Compelling cover letter (required, along with résumé and clips/portfolio)
- 5+ years’ experience in editing or copywriting
- Bachelor’s degree in English or journalism preferred
- Proven ability to provide clear, constructive feedback to copywriters
- Demonstrated aptitude for building relationships and collaborating across divisions
- Proven attention to detail
- Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks, prioritize, use resources efficiently, meet deadlines and stay accountable on long-running projects
- Demonstrated initiative and innovation utilizing a proactive, team-oriented approach
- Ability to embrace and foster change
- Demonstrated understanding of outdoor activities and gear, as well as REI’s customer base, products and services
- Satisfaction with (even better, a hunger for) high-volume, production-oriented work
- Fondness for snacks, GIFs and Slack
To apply, you must submit a cover letter along with your résumé and clips/portfolio. A cover letter is critical. You may either include the letter as an additional page in your résumé pdf or upload it separately. This is your first test.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer