Editor, Product Information
Posted Date: Sep-17-2018
Job ID: 10441
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
As an Editor for Product Information, you’re a gatekeeper for the copy and specs on every product page on REI.com and REI Garage. You take 200-character blurbs about product features and make sure they dazzle. You have a proofreader’s mind. You know a lot about a wide variety of outdoor gear and you know how to fill your knowledge gaps. You remove errors (never introduce them). You have a strong hyperbole detector and sweep out meaningless jargon to give customers the information they care about.
You uphold and defend the REI style guide in an effort to increase accuracy and authenticity. You have years of experience giving feedback to writers so they can provide cleaner, sharper, more relevant copy. You know how to work together with a team toward a common, unchanging goal and have the communication skills that make collaboration easier. You’re unfazed by change. Above all, you aim to ensure the online shopping experience is as engaging and informative as a trip to an REI store and a chat with one of our experts in the green vests.
Bring your passion and expertise
The ideal candidate will have a strong editing/copyediting background with an emphasis on product, experience in fast-paced publishing environments, a keen eye, a high responsibility drive, a sense of humor and a devotion to the outdoors.
In this role, you will work under the Supervising Editor, partnered with another Editor for Product Content. We expect you both to:
- Write and edit product page content and product-related in-store signage
- Provide periodic feedback to copywriters to uphold the REI style guide and brand standards
- Adjust your editorial approach as needed based on workload volume
- Maintain relationships with cross-divisional partners to enhance accuracy, findability and relevance of product content pages
- Enthusiastically champion creative approaches to productivity and process
- Meet regularly with the Supervising Editor to forecast workload, prioritize work, drive initiatives and delegate projects
- Motivate self and others in the face of consistently large volumes of material (we publish more than 16K product pages each year with a small team)
- Continually upgrade product and activity expertise and stay abreast of industry trends
- Keep the customer (both internal and external) in mind at all times
- Look for ways to enhance and improve the digital retail experience
- 5+ years’ experience in editing or copywriting
- Bachelor’s degree in English or journalism preferred
- Proven ability to provide clear, constructive feedback to copywriters
- Demonstrated aptitude for building relationships and collaborating across divisions
- Proven attention to detail
- Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks, prioritize, use resources efficiently, meet deadlines and stay accountable on long-running projects
- Demonstrated initiative and innovation utilizing a proactive, team-oriented approach
- Ability to embrace and foster change
- Demonstrated understanding of outdoor activities and gear, as well as REI’s customer base, products and services
- Satisfaction with (even better, a hunger for) high-volume, production-oriented work
- Fondness for snacks, GIFs and Slack
To apply, please submit a cover letter, résumé and clips/portfolio. This is your first test.
Why you'll love it here
You are wild about the outdoors. You love playing with words. Haven’t you always wanted to invest your talents in the growth of a company you actually value? REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. Now we have 12,000 employees and 151 stores working toward a common goal. We work every day to help our 17 million members have amazing experiences outside (and then we head outside ourselves). We believe in one simple truth: A life outdoors is a life well-lived. If you agree and you have editorial chops, we can’t wait to meet you.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer