Posted Date: Apr- 7-2021
Job ID: 19574
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This an exciting opportunity at REI to lead a subteam within our new Membership and Impact technology team. This hands-on technical manager job contributes to REI’s success by managing a domain/portfolio of IT services and associated teams. This is a unique position blending both excellent engineering skills and people-leadership skills. Other duties include: Assists business clients in analyzing technology needs and planning new services and projects. Collaborates with Enterprise Architects, Domain Architects and Solutions Architects to ensure services created align with company-wide strategic direction and standards. Responsible for successful project execution in their domain, oversight of their direct cross-functional team and collaboration with partner teams to deliver on the portfolio of work. Establishes work priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure that technology contributes to achievement of business objectives. Responsible for the management and support of the services/solutions in their domain/portfolio and the continuous improvement required throughout the life of the service. Partners with aligned business owner to ensure IT services meet the needs of the business to drive value to the organization. Contributes to and enforces departmental strategies, policies and standards. Ensures that team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations. Establishes and enforces best practices and policies for high quality software delivery. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Lead agile teams in delivering high performance solutions.
- Collaborate with Business Partners and peers in solving unique business problems.
- Define the roadmap for several business capabilities.
- Create a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Lead the team by example in contributing to code reviews, coding and solutioning, time permitting.
- Stay abreast of new technology, bringing it back to the team.
- Maintain deep acumen of Agile/Scrum principles.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Oversees the planning process for portfolio of projects including prioritization of projects, definition of aligned business objectives, development of solution options, and creation of cost and time estimates.
- Collaborates with Enterprise Architecture to align and integrate business line initiatives with enterprise-wide strategic technology plans/roadmaps.
- Drives successful delivery of projects in their portfolio including the oversight of Project Managers, Business Analysts, Software Engineers, System Engineers, Architects, QA Engineers, and Release Engineers as applicable. Scope of responsibility also includes any contract service providers as required. Ensures that development of technology services/solutions adheres to enterprise architectural standards, engineering, security and other applicable IT defined standards.
- Responsible for projects in their portfolio to ensure they are completed on time, within budget, meet project success criteria as well deliver identified business value
- Collaborates with all IT departments and disciplines regarding service/solution design, development, testing, implementation and evaluation. Ensures that solutions meet business needs with respect to system architecture, functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development standards.
- Participates in change management planning for the transition and integration of new systems. Ensures adequate documentation of program development and operating instructions.
- Coordinates with other IT departments and disciplines to ensure installation, testing, and upgrading of hardware, operating systems, devices and technologies to support new applications systems.
- Contributes to division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
- Partners with aligned business areas in identifying current and future technology needs.
- Collaborates with other department leaders to identify business needs; plans, schedules, and coordinates work; and ensures integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
- Communicates with team regarding policies and procedures, projects and activities in other groups.
- Guides the team in the analysis of business requests and needs to ensure low-cost operation and effective utilization of staff and equipment.
- Follows the governance process for technology projects, ensuring that project goals and decisions are based upon business priorities.
- Prepares budget recommendations for staffing needs, costs of equipment and tools, maintenance, and future projects.
- Oversees management and support of delivered services/solutions. Including Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 technical support as applicable.
- Ongoing continuous improvement to services as needed to meet business needs and service level expectations.
- Perform direct project management role for projects in portfolio/domain as applicable.
- Creates and maintains staffing plans. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload, both from an internal staffing and outsourcing standpoint. Makes recommendations to management regarding long-term contractors and/or additions to staff.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Demonstrated experience in challenging and inspiring others to provide customer centric solutions
- Demonstrated experience in leading agile teams and understanding of Agile methodology and Lean principles
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience in technology related discipline
- 5+ years’ experience in a technology position
- Experience in managing to a budget
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with business partners
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks, set priorities and manage to critical deadlines
- Ability to present information effectively to all levels of staff and leadership
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business
- Demonstrated curiosity in the latest innovations in retailers and their omni-channel capabilities
- Deep technical acumen
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer