Posted Date: Jul- 6-2021
Job ID: 20539
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by advising business & IT leaders and by fostering the architecture practice and community. In collaboration with the other Enterprise Architects, you will establish a reference architecture which identifies and describes REI's key components and create models describing current and future state capabilities and technologies. Together you will curate our architectural principles, policies and guidelines, create and maintain reference models and support our architecture tooling. You will also support the architecture review process and engage in design reviews. As an advisor you will support investment decision making, portfolio optimization, define design patterns and support the selection of products and the technology strategy, all in accordance with our principles and REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Partners with architects, IT leadership and all lines of the business to document business and technology roadmaps including the transition states from the current to target architectures that support the Company’s strategic business plan.
- Provides perspective on cross domain impacts and facilitation of architects' deliverables. Helps negotiate scope, phasing and approach for conceptual architectures, ensures alignment to architectural principals, standards and imperatives. Reviews and provides input on solution option evaluations and contributes to the overall design of the solutions from discovery and analysis to design.
- Develops actionable and reliable architecture artifacts, principles, policies and standards by maturing the quality of the enterprise architecture repository (In-production & Future-state) and ensures good architectural practices.
- Builds Enterprise-class, vibrant and impactful architecture by supporting the hiring and development of staff in architecture & analysis roles for growth and impact.
- Collaborates with architects, business analysts, engineers and project managers on a wide range of technology projects, including software development, package installation and infrastructure upgrades and changes. Influences requirements and contributes to identification, specification and recommendation of solution architectures. May work in multiple technical areas, including processes, software, data, network and systems.
- For any given system implementation, reviews and analyzes design to identify functions, relationships and patterns. Supports determination and documentation of how the architecture will fulfill its functional and non-functional requirements. Supports “build or buy” recommendations and supports the development of prototype architecture solutions.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- 10+ years systems architecture experience with large-scale, mission-critical databases and applications.
- In-depth knowledge of technical solutions for line of business supported.
- In-depth knowledge of IT architecture across business, information, technology & infrastructure domains, experience with modeling (technology, process and data) and service orientation architecture.
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company.
- Can actively participate and collaborate with others on one's own team, and across REI, and clearly convey and accurately receive information by a variety of methods for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI, while maintaining the ability to challenge the status quo, champion and influence others to change.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Ability to consider the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer