Posted Date: Jul-26-2019
Job ID: 15077
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
The REI Events & Brand Experience team’s mission is to: provide value to REI members through outdoor life-affirming events and experiences, provide value to REI by increasing brand awareness with new audiences and priority prospects.
This job contributes to REI’s success by planning and executing programs or projects that support organizational objectives for Events & Brand Experiences. Reporting to the Sr Manager of Local Brand Engagement & Experiential Events, this role identifies and develops new program opportunities, manages budgets, leads and develops support staff, , ROI and other KPI metrics, timelines and planning, ensures operational excellence, negotiates agency and vendors contracts, as well as provides monthly and ad hoc status reports. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Planning & Navigating
- Drives innovation and proactive (a “visionary”) solutions to problems that may arise, with little to no guidance.
- Builds experience optimization strategy that is relevant and meaningful to the overall goals and objectives. Serves as decision-maker to key objectives of program.
- Extends expertise and best practices to cross-divisional partners as well as leading direct reports to help guide overall Events & Brand Experience strategy and business objectives.
- Provides oversight and root cause analysis of issues affecting program performance.
- Orchestrates program plans throughout cross-divisional planning, execution, and recap phases, including ROI analysis where applicable.
- Manages relationships with internal and external stakeholders and staff from concept through delivery of Events & Brand Experience programs.
- Partners with other key internal partners to ensure the programs are aligned and integrated with annual REI programs and planning.
- Manages both external and internal business relationships with vendors, clients, strategic partners, and agencies.
- Negotiates vendor agreements, sponsorships, land/property use agreements, media partnerships, etc. Ensures contractual agreements are met by vendor.
- Evaluates partnership opportunities and proposals for strategic relevance, business need, and to ensure they are in-line with REI's core values.
- Accountable for building, forecasting and tracking the Events & Brand Experience budgets of all assigned programs and all associated components.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7 + years’ experience in event sponsorship negotiations & complex event planning and production.
- 3 + years’ experience in managing/overseeing revenue & expense budgets of $2 million+ and ROI analysis of financial, participation and other KPI measurements for events and other experiential marketing activations.
- 3 + years’ experience in remote/field team leadership/oversite.
- 2 + years overseeing visual design of off-site event visual designs including signage, tenting and interactive assets preferred.
- 2+ years of experience in integrating social media & digital platforms into off-site events experiences preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with in-person as well as remote managers and peers.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer