Executive Assistant, Administrative Supervisor
Posted Date: Jul-13-2021
Job ID: 20550
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by supervising administrative, clerical and/or support employees for a department or division. Supervises all aspects of administrative activities and projects and establishes policies and procedures which ensures an effective and efficient use of the department’s administrative resources. This job also contributes to REI’s success by providing highly complex administrative assistance to a Vice President or Senior Vice President. Ensures that the daily and ongoing administrative tasks are accomplished in a way that supports the Company’s business initiatives and objectives. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods, and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees to achieve department, company, and customer results.
- Promotes and fosters open communication and collaborative problem solving within the department/division and cross-divisionally across the co-op.
- Influence’s department-wide system and process change.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
Planning & Navigating
- Supervises administrative, clerical and/or support employees within the department.
- Provides administrative support of a highly complex and responsible nature to a Vice President or Senior Vice President while also manages multiple programs or special projects.
- Acts as an extension of the executive in the operation of the daily affairs of the executive’s business.
- Schedule’s meetings, arranges appointments and manages executive’s calendar. Proactively and independently manages requests for an executive’s time and attention to internal and external issues while ensuring executive schedules are met while key issues and matters are effectively addressed.
- Responds to internal and external company contacts regarding the executive, the company’s operations, and its financial results as if they were acting in the stead of the executive.
- Reflects the executive’s style and company culture when carrying out activities.
- Supervises direct reports including but not limited to hiring, termination, conducting performance reviews, setting performance goals, promotions, salary increases, developing team, and managing performance and discipline.
- Provides management with accurate, timely and relevant information about the status of tasks, projects, and other activities within the team.
- Collaborates with HR and the Change Management & Training Team to ensure proper implementation of all on-boarding setup for Merchandising new hires.
- Establishes administrative procedures and applies organization policies to the department.
- Project manages relevant office space changes in partnership with the Corporate Services department.
- Manages departmental events including Outdoor Retailer as assigned.
- Creates and maintains business operations staffing plans. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload.
- Supports organization setups and changes affecting payroll and other confidential budget information as assigned.
- Liaise with other divisions on behalf of leader.
- Maintains a high level of service even when directing inquiries away from the executive to help better manage their calendar and activities.
- Prepares and researches presentations, emails, announcements, other correspondence which is reflective of executive’s style and professionalism.
- Carries out assignments relating to civic or committee activities of the executive. May at times assist with personal activities.
- Coordinates and reconciles travel, itineraries, meeting space and meeting materials.
- Answers telephone calls, email requests and written correspondence.
- Provides work overload and backup support for other administrative team members.
- Coordinates and completes other projects and/or tasks as needed.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years of administrative and clerical support experience, including previous experience supporting corporate managers and/or executives.
- 2+ years leadership and supervision of direct reports preferred.
- Ability to operate office communication and support tools including collaboration platforms (e.g., MS Teams, 365 SharePoint, etc.)
- Ability to draft, proofread and edit documents for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to operate a computer using MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to manage an executive’s calendar and make travel arrangements.
- Ability to use discretion when dealing with information of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to use diplomacy in all forms of communication.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer