Experienced Master BikeTechnician--Full-Time - North Bethesda
Posted Date: Nov-15-2018
Job ID: 12540
Job Function: Retail Operations
Store: North Bethesda
What's cool about this job
This is a hands-on position and allows you to work on bike, ski, and snow equipment every single day. The Master Technician has primary responsibility for operating the store’s service department so as to maintain high quality and safety standards and deliver extraordinary service to customers in medium and large volume stores. To ensure your “pro-status”, within 6 months of hire you will have the opportunity to attend the Barnett Bicycle Institute to receive your REI certification. In addition to being a service savant, typical work for this position includes:
- Scheduling and monitoring the production and throughput of shop work to meet customer demand
- Identify and inform management of ways to improve shop workflow increasing productivity while maintaining or improving quality
- Working with management to build, train, and certify a team of Technicians to carry out shop service and rental department functions.
- Assisting immediate supervisor in evaluating staff needs including hiring, scheduling and evaluating staff performance
- Handling risk to REI by ensuring all shop employees are trained and certified to the level of work they perform and all work meets REI and vendor quality and safety specifications.
- Preserving complete and accurate shop records and maintaining record keeping systems
- Completing Post Accident inspections and reports as necessary
- Acting as liaison between customer, store, AHQ and vendor on resolving highest-level repair problems
- Resolving actionsports equipment non-conformity and warranty issues
- Researching and reporting significant quality and safety issues to Store Management and the Regulatory Compliance Manager at AHQ. Advise of alternatives or solutions before proceeding with work.
- Ordering shop materials, tools, supplies, and parts.
- Assembling and repairing actionsports equipment to REI and/or vendor standards
- Maintaining equipment and ensuring a clean, secure and safe work environment
Bring your passion and expertise
You live and breathe REI equipment. You’re a builder. You’re a trainer. You’re a safety maven. As a Master Technician your job is to train the bike shop staff, ensuring the cycling shop staff is equipped to handle REI customers’ bicycle service needs. If you like repairing equipment, handling risk and building teams of technicians to carry out service department functions then this is the role for you! Here are some skills that we look for in our Master Technicians:
- Successful completion of REI (Barnett Bicycle Institute) certification within 6 months of hire
- 2+ previous bike and/or snowsports shop experience or equivalent including assembly, service and repair of bike and snowsports equipment
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Ability to periodically lift up to 40 pounds, with assistance
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
Oh yeah, did we mention perks? At REI, we understand that benefits matter – we offer a competitive benefit package for all employees which includes:
- A workplace built on respect, integrity, and balance
- Healthcare coverage for full-time employees
- A competitive bonus/ incentive program
- REI Retirement Plan
- Generous gear and merchandise discount
- Paid time off
- Professional growth and development opportunities
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer