General Manager, Asia Operations - Based in Shenzhen
Posted Date: Apr-18-2019
Job ID: 12334
Job Function: Product Design/Development
What's cool about this job
This role contributes to REI Co-op Brands success by leading the Asia-based organization, all associated global supply facing operations along with related strategic planning as a key member of the CB Leadership Team. This position contributes to the growth and profitability by overseeing and evolving the supplier base to support needed manufacturing capabilities, service levels (including quality and delivery), speed to market initiatives as well gross margin goals. This leader models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values, mission and attracts, retains and develops a high performing multi cultural team.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Promotes and increases transparency and communication effectiveness between Asia and HQ offices across departments.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Develop and optimize the current source base to maximize executional excellence for delivery performance and quality, technical capabilities for product development, fair labor compliance, and sustainability engagement to company targets.
- Develops and implements multi-year sourcing strategy in order to manage risk while delivering world class product quality and service levels.
- Develop, implement vendor scorecard and performance review process/standards with T1/T2 partners working closely across all applicable functional teams.
- Work in collaboration with the Development and Sourcing team to drive allocation and production plans that are mutually beneficial and ensure on-time delivery with quality.
- Continually assess vendor base to allocate appropriately based on capability, quality, capacity, delivery and MOQ.
- Proactively maintain cognizance of vendor performance ensuring that REI Co-op Brand executional requirements are met in regards to quality, delivery, and compliance.
- Create and Manage vendor onboarding process to ensure REI Co-op Brand standards are met.
- Prepare and manage operating budget for the Asia Office.
- Coordinate shipping requirements for T1 partners in alignment with REI DC compliance needs.
- Establish effective working relationships with all key department adjacencies
- Supports innovative logistics solutions with the Supply Chain team in order to improve service and profitability.
- Supports innovative Corporate Social and Environmental Responsibilities initiatives with supplier base to position REI as industry leader in Fair Trade and Sustainability practices.
- Identifies and executes opportunities for process improvement, particularly in the areas of in season delivery flexibility, product development interface and cost savings.
- Manages to business trends and develops new opportunities and continuous improvements in the “supply-facing” functions.
- Remains informed of economic, competitive and other factors affecting business development opportunities/threats, and evolves action plans accordingly.
- Build a global team which consists of fully engaged high performers. Ensure that they are fully trained and in regular communication. Plan, directs work; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines employees; addresses complaints and resolves conflict successfully all inline with REI culture and values.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelors degree or equivalent in a related field
- 10-15 years relevant experience in global sourcing, development, quality and production.
- Technical background with strong knowledge of material and garment construction (gear construction a plus)
- Experience working with vendors in Asia and South/Central America – including vendor selection, price negotiations, manufacturing best practices, driving to performance expectations, logistics.
- Intimately familiar with industry standard cut/sew based manufacturing methods/processes, quality expectations/procedures and compliance regulations. (hard goods a plus)
- Proven ability to influence/drive and implementation new processes and procedures to improve partnership, performance and support market opportunity/risk.
- Proven ability to build strong and aligned partnerships between functions operating remotely (Asia office, HQ).
- Highly-refined communication skills, with individuals and large groups, enabling effective management of challenging situations in multi cultural environments
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
- Strong Computer skills in excel, word and necessary systems needed
- Travel Required
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer