General Merchandising Manager, Apparel
Posted Date: Nov- 7-2019
Job ID: 16267
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by leading a team of merchants in achieving annual sales, gross margin, inventory and customer service goals for $700-900M in company annual sales. Develops strategic product direction and specialty shop business plans that achieve corporate priorities, drive financial performance, focus on the customer and lead assortment direction. Builds and maintains excellent relationships with our strategic vendors, in order to achieve mutual goals of sales, profitability, and brand positioning. Oversees Category Merchandising Managers and collaborates with cross divisional partners to ensure cohesive customer facing presentation of products and stories within Co-op Brands, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Digital Retail and Retail. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- As a member of the Leadership Forum, develops a deep understanding of, effectively communicates and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Translates company strategies into actionable divisional plans and executes successful delivery.
- Works cross-divisionally to drive execution of specific divisional and company strategies, initiatives and projects.
- Strengthens retail staff’s access and connection to leadership; drives engagement and builds trust in REI’s leaders.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Creates and implements an annual business plan for achieving financial and customer service goals for the division.
- Participates in and develops the Merchandising division strategic plan and ensures strategic assortment direction aligns with and delivers profitability and sales goals.
- Create and implement annual specialty shop business plan that communicates the division priorities, strategies, customer, and marketplace trends.
- Collaborates with directors of planning to determine specialty shop, department and class financial goals based on corporate and specialty shop strategic objectives and financial, market, and industry trends.
- Ensures effective business planning for Category management, Co-op Brands, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Retail and Digital Sales.
- Ensures the effective governance of merchandise planning and policies for the development and delivery of products, margin, inventory and financial results.
- Creates strategies for Merchandising process improvement to achieve better economies, efficiencies and management of their operations.
- Ensures identification of key product and lifestyle trends affecting specialty shop category responsibilities and develops merchandising plans to meet market opportunities.
- Creates business plan for new category development by researching sales potential, market size, assortment requirements and relevance to REI brand.
- Ensure product assortment and margins support merchandising and category goals.
- Ensures assortments and product mix are aligned to enhance the REI brand.
- Creates and coordinates cross department stories and themes to create cohesive marketing messages for seasonal campaigns.
- Partners with Direct Mail allocation team to allocate space and spread themes for direct mail marketing catalogs and flyers. Directs CMMs to ensure consistent and cohesive customer experience from spread theme to item selection.
- Partners with visual representatives to ensure that prioritized specialty shop strategies are elevated in store environment and evolve in-store merchandising.
- Collaborates with REI Co-op Brands to create 3-year product planning direction for specialty shop and shared vision consistency across departments.
- Develops strategic business plans with key tier 1 and 2 vendors.
- Ensures effective negotiations with major vendors and that contractual performance standards are met or exceeded.
- Champion change management, agility, and speed in execution.
- Plans expense budget and resource requirements.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer