General Merchandising Manager - Camp/Climb/Travel/Essentials
Posted Date: Jan-31-2019
Job ID: 13243
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The General Merchandising Manager (GMM) contributes to REI’s success by leading a team of 15-20 merchants toward financial and service goals, ($700-900M annually). Develops strategic product direction and specialty shop business plans that support corporate priorities, drive financial performance, focus on the customer and lead assortment direction. Builds and maintains excellent relationships with strategic brands to achieve mutual goals in sales, profitability and brand positioning. Oversees Category Merchandising Managers and ensures cohesive customer facing presentation of products and stories in collaboration with partners in Co-op Brands, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Digital Retail and Retail.
- As member of company leadership forum develops deep understanding, effectively communicates, and broadly supports execution of company strategies and priorities.
- Collaborates with planning partner to determine specialty shop, department and class financial goals based on corporate and shop strategic objectives plus market trends; creates annual business plan incorporating corporate strategic goals with divisional objectives and ensures successful delivery
- Ensures effective business planning with Co-op Brands, Marketing, Visual Merchandising, Retail and Digital Sales.
- Responsible for developing new product or category business plan by researching sales potential, market size, assortment requirements and relevance to co-op priorities and brand.
- Ensures identification of key product and lifestyle trends for shop and category; develops merchandising plans to meet market opportunities.
- Identifies and develops strategic partnerships with key vendors.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work culture in which people can do their best, establishing trust and inspiring others, championing change, agility and speed in execution.
- Drives engagement and builds trust in REI’s leaders.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years of Merchandising management experience including general management, assortment planning, financial planning, inventory management and product development, with 3+ years managing merchandising plans above $500MM/year
- Demonstrated insight and expertise in planning and executing annual merchandising strategies and business plans across national and geographic markets
- Retail, manufacturing and distribution process knowledge with experience in multi-channel retailing
- Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply these principles in driving change/outcomes in cross-functional projects and activities
- Understanding of the REI Co-op brand and the unique nature of outdoor specialty retail
- Proven negotiation experience and relationship building skills.
- Ability to build individual and team capacity through effective employee development, involvement, communication and supervision.
- Effective organization and people decision-making skills consistent with company values and ethics; consistently considers decision and action impacts on internal and external customers
- Accountability for delivering on commitments, holding others to same.
- Champion of organization and advocate for solutions in the company's overall best interest.
- Demonstrated ability to manage successful change.
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Retailing, Fashion Merchandising or related subject
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer