Industrial Designer, Gear
Posted Date: Jan-28-2021
Job ID: 19097
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The REI Co-op Brands Industrial Designer will support design initiatives within the hardgoods product team, including furniture, tents, and camp gear. The ideal candidate is detail oriented with an elevated sense of form, and has experience bringing products successfully from concept to production. A great collaborator and creative problem solver, this designer thrives when partnering with a cross-functional team of Product Strategists, Developers, Graphic & Color Designers, Merchandisers and external vendors. They are driven to innovate and deliver industry-leading products that perform to the highest quality standards, serving as the physical manifestation of the REI Co-op brand.
- Design seasonal and multi-year product lines targeting financial goals and performance criteria as defined in brief and directed by Lead or Senior designer.
- Ideate on assigned styles to explore, create, and stretch direction for form and function via sketch, CAD, and/or physical prototyping.
- Refine concept direction and complete design spec hand-offs following Co-op Brands specification standards to inform prototype process.
- Complete deliverables as required for working meetings and formal presentations. Understand and engage in expectations and timing of seasonal calendars and milestones.
- Apply working knowledge of materials to styles. Partner with Materials Team and Sr/Lead designer to identify specific materials direction for each product including performance, sustainability, and aesthetic characteristics, and cost
- Apply seasonal color, print, and graphic stories at style level and complete design hand-offs to support development
- Actively research product influences: trend, market, field use, with the customer needs at the center
- Contribute to and participate in events to gain knowledge and apply learnings from Design Insights, Strategy and Testing teams to seasonal product.
- Engage in and promote a culture of curiosity and collaboration. Seek moments to collaborate on concepts and designs.
- In partnership with the Lead or Senior designer, identify personal areas of strengths and opportunities. Engage in individual development planning as directed by Lead or Senior designer.
Bring your passion and expertise
- BFA or BSID from accredited Industrial Design program
- 3+ years experience in product design and/or industrial design-related field
- Exceptional Portfolio, demonstrating examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Excellent sketching & ideation skills, with superior visual communication and presentation abilities
- Advanced Solidworks skills (solid and surface modeling) are a must
- High proficiency with 2d & 3d rendering software to quickly create photo realistic imagery (Photoshop, Illustrator, Keyshot)
- Strong model making skills: ability to quickly mock-up concept models and prototypes
- Proficient knowledge of manufacturing processes and associated costing for metals, composites, plastics and more (including machining, forging, molding for composites, injection molding, 3d printing, etc.)
- Proficient knowledge of branding and how to lead the creation of products that connect with customers, and are representative of their respective brand and/or category
- Self-motivated, with strong problem-solving skills, a keen design sensibility, and a high attention to detail
- Highly organized: Ability to deliver top quality work in a fast-paced, open team environment, while working on multiple projects in varying levels of development.
- Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines.
- Strong written, oral and presentation communication skills
- Innate ability to connect with REI members; demonstrated passion for getting outside (work related, or personal passion)
- Must be knowledgeable and acutely aware of emerging trends in design, technologies, and demographic, market & consumer research.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Fosters a culture of creativity, design excellence, accountability and results.
- Occasional International & Domestic travel required
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer