Lead Apparel Designer
Posted Date: Apr- 4-2018
Job ID: 10480
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Lead Designer is responsible for leading the design team in the creation of compelling products that are inspired, meaningful and brand right. This includes research and development of trends, themes, color, and concepts. They are also responsible for the creation and stewardship of seasonal themes to support the REI design language. The Lead Designer mentors and manages the career growth of their team, ensure a balanced workload, and oversee any freelance and contract design work. This person collaborates with Merchandising and Marketing to drive design, represents REI design and direction to cross-divisional partners to ensure alignment, and models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Fosters a culture of creativity, design excellence, accountability and results.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results. Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years prior experience in apparel product creation and leadership role(s); bachelor's degree in related field preferred.
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to achieve positive results
- Ability to craft and apply vision, design themes, future consumer product needs, relevant and meaningful design trends and strategically plan for implementation
- Strong team/people leadership practices through: establishing an environment of creativity, design excellence, teamwork, motivation, accountability and drive for successful outcomes
- Strong knowledge of apparel design and product development processes including manufacturing.
- Support design insights efforts and challenges the team to think like a consumer.
- Effective presentation creation, delivery and communicate skills
- Possess intelligent decision making and problem solving skills through effective work management, organizational expertise, acute attention to detail, and effective prioritization
- Delivers on commitments and holds others accountable on their commitments.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best. Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Domestic and international travel required
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer