Lead Performance Engineer
Posted Date: Sep- 5-2018
Job ID: 11495
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by ensuring that all enterprise digital/physical retail and back-end systems meet established performance and load standards as defined by business partners and system owners. The Lead Performance Engineer is responsible for developing methods and processes for performance testing for all enterprise applications. This covers a wide variety of enterprise applications, including but not limited to: SAP, Warehouse Management (WM), REI.com, Procurement (Procure-IT), Replenishment Systems (ASR, VTSS), and a wide variety of Membership, POS, Retail and related applications. The Lead Performance Engineer acts as a technical lead or consultant on all projects, including highly complex projects and provides technical guidance to QA engineering staff to ensure performance tests are designed to meet exit criteria. This individual will drive the Enterprise Performance Engineering strategy with the proper mix of business knowledge and technical leadership. Planning activities involve working closely with architects to define the long term strategy for repeatable and scalable performance testing activities within the organization. The successful Lead Performance Engineer will design, orchestrate and analyze load and performance tests using a variety of testing tools (e.g. LoadRunner, JMeter), statistics and analysis techniques using APM tools like Dynatrace/AppDynamics/New Relic. Effective analysis and communication of performance test results, bottlenecks, sizing guidelines, and recommended improvements for Java & Dotnet applications and database specific issues is a key requirement for this role. The successful candidate will have several years of progressively difficult applications development and/or performance testing experience which demonstrates: efficient coding practices, architectural and design ingenuity, attention to framework design, and holistic understanding of how testing can be applied in both Agile and Waterfall streams alike
- Automated performance, scalability, and stress testing tools - Loadrunner, StormRunner, JMeter
- APM tools - Appdynamics, Dynatrace, New Relic
- Service monitoring and alerting tools - Cloudwatch, Graphite/Grafana, Kibana/ELK stack, logstash, Splunk
- Source control systems - CVS, Subversion, Git.
- Developing robust benchmark workloads
- Developing test plan, automated test framework, and test, analyze, and publish test results
- Developing code, techniques and processes to test middleware - ETL, ESB, Web Services, SOAP, and XML
- Developing, analyzing capacity plan
- Generate test data
- Instrumenting application tier, analyzing back-end data stores (e.g., Cassandra, MySQL,Oracle), API gateways and caching infrastructures
- Performance, load, and monitoring experience for ecommerce, retail systems – Order Management, POS, SAP, Warehouse Management
- Production support through reproducing and simulating performance issues.
- Application profiling tools - JProfiler or JVM tools - IBM Heap Analyzer
- Experience working with distributed Unix or Linux-based systems
- Experience working with J2EE Application Servers - JBoss, Tomcat
- Experience troubleshooting and tuning Java applications - JVM tuning
- Experience working with messaging systems - MQ
- Experience working with clustered DB systems - Oracle RAC
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, math, engineering or equivalent work experience
- 7 + years of benchmark testing, performance analysis, and measurement of technically challenging applications
- 3 years of software development experience
- 5+ years of developmental experience with a load testing tool such as LoadRunner
- 2+ year of experience testing Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) Technolong
- Strong knowledge of HTTP load generation, measurement, and testing tools (e.g. Loadrunner, JMeter, Junit)
- Strong programming skills in Java, C++ or C
- Strong troubleshooting and reasoning skills
- 2 years of experience with defect management technology such as bugzilla or HP Quality Center
- Ability to mentor junior engineering staff in performance testing methodology and practice
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals. Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer