Lead UX Designer
Posted Date: Jan-13-2021
Job ID: 19107
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The role of the Lead User Experience Designer contributes to REI’s success by leading initiatives that are of high strategic value to the co-op, across multiple touchpoints. Perform and lead a wide range of design activities across the lifecycle of a project, partnering with designers, researchers, writers and stakeholders.
The Lead UX Designer mentors other designers and provide design feedback to ensure the team delivers high-quality solutions that embody REI’s brand and values. Able to articulate the rationale behind the design decisions, understand how to defend decisions, and negotiate with teams to deliver the best possible outcomes with impact. Will often work with non-designers and, as a result, are educating about and advocating for the practice of human-centered design, customer centricity, as well as designing product experiences. An integrator who keeps information flowing up, down, and across the organization. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Lead the UX design efforts for one or more critical products or strategic projects on digital platforms
- Partner closely with fellow designers to deliver innovative user centered experiences
- Partner closely with researchers across the co-op to use their findings and insights to create valued user experiences
- Create, maintain, and communicate user experience documentation such as competitive site analyses, scenarios, user flows, interaction notes, detailed wireframes and prototypes
- Work closely with Engineers, Program/Product Management, Marketing Research, Analytics and other teams to develop user-centered features
- Ensure maintenance of a cohesive user interface by contributing to a digital design system
- Plan, and facilitate user research activities (interviews, usability testing, surveys, etc.) and report findings, recommendations, and next steps
- Use quantitative and qualitative data to inform the creation of inclusive solutions for complex problems
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years in user experience or closely-related fields.
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methodologies and best practices
- 3+ years in user research, including conducting usability studies
- Strong knowledge of UX deliverables such as wireframes, user flows, design specifications, digital design systems and prototypes
- Strong knowledge of related disciplines such as information architecture, interaction design and brand communications
- In-depth knowledge in iOS and Android mobile platforms preferred
- Previous experience in digital design
- Previous experience working in an agile shop
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary teams to promote open communication and teamwork
- Superior communication skills; ability to listen, present and sell your ideas
- Ability to communicate complex, interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Strong time management skills and the ability to be self-directed
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Co-op’s best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Fosters change in company direction
- Degree in information architecture, interaction or interface design, human-computer interaction or related fields preferred
- Platform design experience preferred
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer