Legal Department Administrator
Posted Date: Mar-25-2019
Job ID: 13752
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Legal
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by providing a broad range of administrative and clerical duties for the Deputy General Counsels, and for other members of the Legal team as needed, to assure completion of their work in a competent, responsive, and efficient manner. Perform as a collaborative team member within the Legal Department, providing assistance and guidance to others as necessary or advisable to accomplish the missions of the department and REI. Will have client contact requiring discretion, sound judgment and strict confidentiality. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s mission and The Co-op Way.
Provide primary administrative support to the Deputy General Counsels in the Legal Department, including the following:
- Manage attorney schedules
- Coordinate appointments, meetings, and business travel
- Schedule conference rooms
- Plan, support, and implement logistics for executive level internal events
- Coordinate meetings, teleconferences, and digital meetings/conferences.
- Coordinate with internal clients, external counsel and other vendors to obtain and exchange information and documentation related to legal matters.
- Assess the urgency of situations and determine appropriate actions; monitor status of pending items; provide follow-up and keep attorneys informed by communicating a wide variety of information
- Prepare legal correspondence and presentations
- Provide other administrative support as needed or required
Manage Administration of Legal Department Technology and Support the Legal Department and other Legal Department team members as follows:
- Provide administrative support to one or more attorneys in the department.
- Organize and maintain all files within the Legal Department (physical and electronic) in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide administrative support to other members of the department, as needed and time permits
- Administer the department’s electronic billing system and document management system for electronic data management of legal files and creation of management reports; conduct research for report generation as needed; coordinate/assist with other legal operations matters as necessary;
- Provide help and assistance to members of the legal staff regarding computer and/or software related questions and problems
- Track department budget and help Deputy General Counsels manage department budget
- Prepare various reports for the department, as well as analyze reports and share findings with Legal leadership team
- Be knowledgeable about company and department policies and procedures, and answer inquiries about these policies and procedures directly or refer them to relevant people or departments within their company, as appropriate
- Ensure the department is following all company policies and procedures and make sure effective collaboration is occurring among departments, as appropriate
Bring your passion and expertise
- Associates degree strongly requested (Bachelor’s degree desirable)
- 3+ years experience as legal administrator, supporting lawyers, in a mid-size (25+ attorney) or larger law firm or in-house legal department (executive administrative experience preferred)
- 1+ years experience with office management, with examples of managing multiple deadlines, working in an environment with ambiguity, and taking the lead to make sure functional tasks are completed as requested by leadership
- Experience working with legal department technology solutions (e-billing, matter management, document management), particularly Legal Tracker and iManage
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English to produce high-quality, error-free material with law-related content. Must have familiarity with or understanding of technical legal terminology
- Familiarity with the drafting and editing process of legal documents and general knowledge of legal documents such as contracts, real estate documents, summons and complaints, and discovery documents
- High facility with MS Office software and familiarity with web-based productivity tools (e.g., intranets and portals)
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently exercising good judgment and discretion
- Enjoyment of fast-paced work environment with high level of interaction with internal business clients
- Alignment with REI’s core values and a strong affinity for REI’s mission and the products and services the company sells
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer