Manager, Apparel Development/Tech Design
Posted Date: Sep-11-2018
Job ID: 10791
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by performing as a member of the Coop Brand management team, contributes to the strategic direction and priorities of Product Development for apparel; coordinates the planning, development and implementation of department business strategies. Leads the Product Development functional area and team focused on multiple departments and brands in developing, implementing and managing brand focused strategies to reliably develop product to design intent, quality, margin and timeline expectations; directs across brands and departments with a multi-season time horizon viewpoint. Oversight of product development and product readiness for assigned product category (i.e Apparel), accountable for decisions affecting production readiness. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Develops, implements and manages multi-seasonal product development strategy for respective product categories to fully express a world class product and brand story
- Support Product Developers in all aspects of fittings, technical issues and product evaluations during product creation process by providing expertise for appropriate block reference, guidance for necessary fit/pattern adjustments during fit approval process and executing pattern corrections if determined critical for successful execution of styles from development to production.
- Proven track record of critiquing, adjusting and evaluating design concepts and prototypes from a fit, pattern and functional perspective.
- Displays advanced knowledge in construction and technical expertise, extends outside of their area to support and problem solve and acts as a leader with a strong influence towards partners.
- Translate field input on customer fit and quality experience to strategically improve the consumers' future experience with product and service to increase customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Details, monitors and ensures compliance to seasonal timeline milestones, recommends changes for milestones as needed
- Defines and Implements practices consistent with industry best practice or REI SOP. Identifies, develops and executes on opportunities for process improvement at team level
- Contributes to on-going requirements identification and development of systems to support the product function.
- Ensures department level deliverables align with Product Integrity strategy, collaborates with cross functional Product Integrity support team
- Implements organizational structure and succession plan at team level
Bring your passion and expertise
- 10+ years product development experience
- 3+ years management experience
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferable in design, engineering, or manufacturing
- Strong knowledge of product development processes including design, manufacturing and sourcing, preferably with Asian based production and cut/sewn category
- Strong project planning and management skills, ability to develop and manage multiple timelines and deadlines
- Experience with Product Data Management systems (ie. Enovia Matrix One)
- Ability to develop team capacity in organization, efficiency, attention to detail
- Ability work effectively cross functionally with department leaders to develop and tune shared business processes
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
We are a team of creative, passionate people who love the outdoors. We bring our love of the outdoors into our daily work to create amazing products and brand experiences exclusively for REI’s customers.
We’re passionate about delivering compelling, meaningful products in the market. Whether it’s heading out for a weekend of backpacking, a long bike ride or just a walk in the rain. We are guided by our values of authenticity, quality, services, respect, integrity and balance. By joining the REI Private Brands team, you have the opportunity to make a difference, be challenged to create excellence and enrich our creative community.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer