Manager, Email Operations
Posted Date: Mar-12-2019
Job ID: 13687
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Manager of Email Operations contributes to REI’s success by leading the team responsible for executing direct marketing strategies in support of REI enterprise and marketing goals. This role is responsible for formalizing a 3-year vision and roadmap into an achievable implementation plan to progress the ‘what’ and ‘how’ we operate within a fast-paced, high-impact arm of Marketing. This role leads, trains and develops a team of experienced direct marketing professionals to plan and produce engaging direct marketing communications that drive sales and profits to REI and increase member engagement and loyalty.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Advocates and executes direct marketing strategies in support of REI company and marketing goals.
- Supports the breadth of email needs from creative to technology.
- Manages workload of the team and adapts to agile business demands.
- Creates/understands team capacity thresholds.
- Collaborates with internal/external stakeholders in creative and implementation teams to ensure priorities are met adequately.
- Assures projects are properly scoped, prioritized, and assigned within practical team bandwidth.
- Builds and manages the operational plan to progress the organizations growth agenda.
- Assesses and problem-solves within the needs of the channel including technology, content, data feeds, etc.
- Serves as point of contact for automation, promotional, and transactional operational plans. Understands the direction we’re heading and reports back the best ways to get there.
- Sets new processes and documentation to scale and transfer to individual contributors fully.
- Guides a team of email developers –coding and developing complex, data-driven responsive HTML in Email.
- Cascades strategic visions into daily deliverables.
- Serves as point of contact for agencies and vendors to progress the demands of our accounts.
- Acts as subject matter expert on industry standards and proper coding techniques to achieve ideal rendering across specified email environments.
- Collaborates other marketing and digital leaders on key initiatives.
- Shares measurable plans and progress with senior leaders throughout the Co-op.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent education
- 5+ years of relevant Marketing and Email Operations experience.
- Experience within Oracle | Responsys or Enterprise-level platform
- 3+ years of experience managing operations team.
- Experience defining and optimizing team processes.
- Experience with personalization engines, real-time content, and other progressive technologies.
- Strong design, code, and/or user-interface acumen.
- A love for responsive email coding, through the use of @media queries.
- Passionate about the email industry and motivated to learn more.
- Able to hand-code HTML and CSS.
- Understands ESP campaign builder and automation implementation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Gmail and Android mail app.
- Understands best-practices for email clients including various MS Outlook versions, major ISPs, and popular mobile platforms.
- Experience working in a content management system platform, specifically for Email.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast-paced, agile environment.
- Able to translate technical explanations to non-technical parties.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
Why you'll love it here
Real. Alive. Connected. These are a few words that describe life at REI. Whether it’s in our careers or in the great outdoors, we aspire to adventure in all ways! At REI we value our customers; we work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our commitment remains the same as when we started out in 1938: to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure. Join a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. Get ready to harness your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
REI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer