Manager - IT Quality Assurance
Posted Date: May-10-2021
Job ID: 20107
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by owning the software quality assurance service(s) at REI, managing software quality assurance teams assigned to provide testing services to the development, maintenance or enhancement of applications utilized by REI’s internal and external customers. Collaborates and strategizes with portfolio owners and their development managers to establish practices that enable the delivery of high-quality software at a pace that meets customer’s demands. Promotes innovation to drive operational efficiency in the support of initiatives aimed to drive the business forward. Provides direction to project teams, establishes work priorities, and evaluates proposed solutions to ensure that technology contributes to achievement of the division’s business objectives. Contributes to departmental strategies, defines and enforces policies and standards. Ensures team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations. Maintains a high quality of products and services to help preserve REIs competitive advantage. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- Owns service design, implementation and operation for the quality assurance services delivered to the rest of IT
- Manages the processes and people to ensure quality products meets defined business requirements and design specifications.
- Manages quality assurance teams to ensure the development of systems and processes meet REIs quality assurance standards across the software development lifecycle.
- Creates, analyzes, and publishes relevant quality metrics and measures across teams to communicate application and release quality, and to address technical debt, risks, and other quality issues.
- Guides the development of test strategies and automation plans within Agile and Waterfall development methodologies utilizing open source or commercial automation tools, packages as applicable.
- Ensures that the quality engineering discipline builds and utilizes robust, scalable test frameworks
- Champions performance testing strategy and execution across all enterprise applications
- Partners with cross-functional management teams to establish and deliver upon strategies for the Continuous Delivery development model.
- Promotes the adoption of Test Driven Development and Behavior Driven Development software processes, promoting high-functioning applications through robust comprehensive test coverage.
- Provides quality assurance strategy for enterprise package solutions. Works closely with the vendor, development services manager, systems manager, and project manager to incorporate sound test methodologies and best practices into the quality assurance environment. Drives the discovery and adoption of new methodologies using effective communications and training of staff.
- Provides leadership to validate technical requirements; ensure testability and traceability of new systems; and ensure successful generation and utilization of automation/performance test cases, scripts and plans.
- Collaborates with Project Management Office to manage the progress of development projects in process. Monitors performance of assigned quality assurance assignments to ensure they are completed on time and within budget.
- Collaborates and coordinates with other Information Technology (IT) departments regarding quality assurance deliverables, disciplines on overall test plans, including user acceptance, performance and regression testing, to ensure successful transition and system reliability of developed systems into the enterprise.
- Ensures delivery of documentation of test results and corrective actions, including recommendations to improve quality and reliability of systems. Ensures defect management using quality assurance tools.
- Provides strategic direction for quality assurance. Researches, evaluates and recommends selection of software testing products, automation and performance processes and methodologies to improve the quality and efficiencies of the quality assurance deliverables, staff, and systems.
- Contributes to division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
- Participates in change management planning for the transition and integration of new systems. Ensures adequate documentation of program development and operating instructions.
- Drives business areas in identifying current and future quality assurance services needs.
- Collaborates with other department leaders to identify business needs; plan, schedule, and coordinate work; and ensure integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
- Communicates with team regarding policies and procedures, projects and activities in other groups.
- Guides the team in the analysis of business requests and needs to ensure low-cost operation and effective utilization of staff and equipment.
- Follows the governance process for technology projects, ensuring that project goals and decisions are based upon business priorities.
- Creates and maintains staffing plans as well as resource forecasting. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload, both from an internal staffing and outsourcing standpoint. Makes recommendations to management regarding long-term contractors and/or additions to staff.
- Prepares budget recommendations for staffing needs, costs of equipment and tools, maintenance, and future projects.
- Provides senior management with accurate, timely and relevant information about the status of projects, personnel and activities within the team.
- Performs basic line supervision, including hiring, firing, conducting performance reviews, setting performance goals, promotions, salary increases, developing subordinates, and managing performance and discipline.
- Creates support structures to ensure that adequate technical support for end users is maintained at all times. Ensures that required technical tools and training are available to the staff providing support.
- Keeps abreast of technology changes and innovations in the information technology field, specifically in the field of engineering, with a focus on automation and performance testing.
- Manages or coordinates vendor relationships and contracts for products, services and support.
- Analyzes, assesses and recommends improvements in programs and practices to ensure compliance with regulatory and internal controls.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or business administration, or equivalent training and experience preferred.
- 2+ years supervisory experience in the information technology field and the ability to direct technical work teams preferred.
- 5+ years experience in information technology, including leading teams in systems analysis or software engineering.
- 5+ years experience in a software development, software testing or other technical development environment.
- Experience managing multiple project teams.
- Experience developing long-term technology strategies preferred.
- Experience developing team-level plans and contributing to annual budgets preferred.
- Ability to negotiate contracts and agreements with vendors and service providers in the information technology business.
- Experience with the testing needs of eCommerce and ERP solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of quality assurance methodologies and software test automation tools.
- Knowledge of methodologies, standards, procedures and organization that contribute to the development and deployment of technology solutions.
- Skills in resource management, project prioritization, problem-solving, issue management and negotiation, and mediation.
- Knowledge of business principles from multiple disciplines and ability to apply those principles.
- Experience with structured project and software development life cycles.
- Ability to manage customer and vendor relationships.
- Ability to work collaboratively and across divisions.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer