Manager, Internal Communications
Posted Date: Jun-17-2021
Job ID: 20209
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: Yes
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
For more than 80 years, REI Co-op has been fighting for life outdoors. Our co-op structure allows us to measure success differently than most companies. We put purpose – and people -- before profits, and look beyond traditional business metrics to understand how we’re impacting our employees, our members and society.
As a Manager of Internal Communications, you will bolster REI’s reputation and engage our most important audience: 15,000 employees at headquarters, our three distribution centers and more than 160 stores across the country. Your work helps drive our business, build trust and confidence in leaders and energizes our community. You’ll be a part of the Communications & Community team, whose job is to help REI inform and engage its 20 million members and 15,000 employees.
You will be a communications strategist, team leader, change agent, and content creator who will manage and measure projects that position REI as a values-driven business leader and a different kind of company. Success in this role includes developing a deep knowledge of our business and core impact priorities (climate and racial equity, diversity and inclusion (REDI), providing strategic communications counsel to senior leader stakeholders, the ability to apply critical thinking skills to complex issues and thinking holistically about how to differentiate communications to diverse groups of employees. Impeccable, persuasive writing skills are a must, and you model and act in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Models the idea that time outside is fundamental to a life well lived.
- Leads the execution of the co-op’s holistic internal communications strategy—including content and narrative development, editorial oversight, follow up and measurement.
- Provides oversight and management of the internal communications ecosystem, including content strategy and development, management of two-way dialog tools and partnering with our employee events team to shape the content for in-person and virtual moments.
- Conceptualizes, writes, and edits multi-media assets including PowerPoint presentations, articles, web copy, video scripts, senior leader blogs, podcasts, etc.
- Supports team strategic planning and recommendations—annual, seasonal, and divisional—in support of company and team imperatives and priorities.
- Partners cross-divisionally to align and drive co-op-wide brand and cultural initiatives.
- Leads partnerships with outside communication contractors, agencies and consultants.
- Develops internal executive communication plans.
- Innovates internal communication strategies and develops the team’s competency to ensure REI is well positioned to address traditional and emerging communication channels, methods and media.
- Partners with director and cross-divisional partners to respond to escalated issues, ensuring responses are brand and voice appropriate.
- Represents team interests through cross divisional teams by influencing business direction, planning and creative direction; and provides leadership and networking with peer groups in key divisions.
- Drives operational efficiencies in all areas of responsibility to maximize the team’s contribution to REI’s goals.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 7+ years of experience in internal or external communications with proven experience in delivering clear, compelling and persuasive plans and written materials
- Proven exceptional communication skills in all forms. Ability to produce high quality communication counsel and clear, concise and well-presented materials under intense deadline pressures
- Proven experience in strategic communication and business planning for large, complex organizations
- Experienced crisis counselor with proven results on difficult and complex multi-stakeholder issues
- Proven ability in working with senior executives on executive communications, message development and presentation preparation
- Demonstrated performance in communicating and shaping a strong and positive internal organizational brand via communications
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts
- Effectively plans and executes changes
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer