Manager, Membership Acquisition
Posted Date: May-19-2021
Job ID: 20098
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
Love the outdoors? Want to work for a place where what you do actually matters? At the Co-op, our goal is to lower the barrier to the outdoors by making an outdoor lifestyle relatable, accessible, and meaningful to all people. REI’s membership program is foundational to the Co-op and this work – our long-term success is predicated on programs that add value to REI membership.
The Manager, Membership Acquisition will drive the membership acquisition for REI’s membership program and will be responsible for translating business goals and opportunities into impactful initiatives. They will work the Sr. Manager to define long-term strategy and that drives program growth, establishes industry standards, and ensures the commercial health of the co-op. The Manager will guide a team to grow member conversion, through development, management, and optimization of strategies across channels and touchpoints.
The ideal candidate for this role must have strong communication and influencing skills, as well as flexibility and a willingness to regularly advocate for their work. They will be able to balance both the art and science of acquiring members: translate data and insights, trends, and gaps into soundly articulated business opportunities that transform into storytelling that enables customers to clearly see the value of joining the Co-op.
This role will partner with leaders across the Co-op in Digital, Retail, Marketing, Customer Insights, and Customer Insights. The Manager, Member Acquisition will be held accountable to communicate the team vision and share result that demonstrate the program impact to leaders and other divisions.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
- Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods, and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
- Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company, and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances, and issues, and takes appropriate action.
- Proactively defines membership acquisition strategy that targets key customer segments to welcome new members to the Co-op.
- Develops and delivers high-quality annual initiative prioritization to deliver against co-op strategic goals, including leading vetting of new strategic initiatives and offerings.
- Drives alignment around holistic customer journey with key business lines to bring optimal touchpoints to acquire members.
- Establishes and grows internal relationships at all levels of the organization to ensure long-term development and growth for their program and their team members.
- Communicates program strategies and results consistently to create transparency and visibility into the impact of the program.
- Prepares budget recommendations for staffing and program investments
- Facilitates empowerment and growth of direct reports, through the formal review process and ongoing talent development.
- Leads development of business plans and optimizes offering strategies to meet/exceed business objectives and manage program budgets.
- Provides thought leadership on member acquisition landscape and innovation and define opportunity for the co-op to strengthen member acquisition
- Establishes and maintains visibility of the team’s portfolio across the co-op, ensuring that all key partners are informed on the latest trends, capabilities and are clear on the POV that we are driving around customer journeys.
- Partners with the customer insights team and digital team to identify and prioritize needs of members and customers.
- Leverages analytics to optimize performance, guide the roadmap and demonstrate programs impact to leadership.
- Develop success metrics, analyze results, and report findings.
Bring your passion and expertise
- MBA preferred
- 5+ years’ experience in loyalty or customer acquisition
- 3+ years direct supervisory experience
- A solid business understanding and proven ability to develop, enhance, implement, and measure successful member acquisition required.
- Demonstrated ability to assess important market requirements and opportunities and identify competitive opportunities.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively
- Strong analytical skills and experience developing financial models, monitoring KPIs and managing a P&L
- Experience finding avenues to hear from customers and work in their feedback into your product roadmap; then deliver results
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others accountable to the same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer