What's cool about this job
Your Job Map (the overall purpose of the job and how the job contributes to achieving department/company objectives)
This job contributes to REI’s success by managing the Cyber Security Operations Team and services, to include continuous event and incident monitoring and response, incident response and investigations and detection engineering. Provides direction to team, establishes work priorities, and works to optimize the effectiveness of our proactive threat hunting and response abilities. Ensuring security events and alerts are triaged and responded timely to delivery top notch service and meeting/exceeding agreed upon SLAs. Builds and institutionalizes various SOC processes and continuously improving those to ensure seamless functioning of service delivery. Contributes to and enforces departmental strategies, policies, and standards. Ensures that team commitments are tracked, managed, and meet or exceed expectations. Maintains a high quality of products and services to help maintain REI’s competitive advantage. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Leading the Way (team leadership, coaching and development responsibilities for this “manager of staff”)
• Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business results.
• Supports the implementation of company programs, procedures, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
• Challenges and inspires employees to achieve business results.
• Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
• Oversees training and development of employees directly and indirectly managed and makes effective staffing decisions.
• Conducts and ensures the completion of performance reviews.
• Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
• Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
• Monitors operational statistics, reports trends, variances and issues, and takes appropriate action.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements (the plans the job is responsible for creating and executing, and how the job ensures they are implemented)
• Develops long-term plans to ensure that information security resource capacity meets current and future enterprise needs.
• Communicates and collaborates with all other IT disciplines regarding Information Security performance issues, and solution design, development, implementation and evaluation.
• Contributes to division strategic planning, applying a current knowledge and future vision of technology and systems which significantly impact the effective execution of business processes.
• Assists business areas in identifying current and future information services needs.
• Collaborates with other department leaders to identify business needs; plan, schedule, and coordinate work; and ensure integration of business needs and information technology solutions.
• Communicates with team regarding policies and procedures, projects and activities in other groups.
• Follows the governance process for technology projects, ensuring that project goals and decisions are based upon business priorities.
• Prepares budget recommendations for staffing needs, costs of equipment and tools, maintenance, and future projects.
• Creates and maintains staffing plans. Ensures the team is properly trained and staffed to handle the projected workload, both from an internal staffing and outsourcing standpoint. Makes recommendations to management regarding long-term contractors and/or additions to staff.
• Provides management with accurate, timely and relevant information about the status of projects, personnel and activities within the team.
• Performs basic line supervision, including hiring, firing, conducting performance reviews, setting performance goals, promotions, salary increases, developing subordinates, and managing performance and discipline.
• Keeps abreast of technology changes and innovations in the information technology field.
• Manages or coordinates vendor relationships and contracts for products, services and support.
• Analyzes, assesses and recommends improvements in programs and practices to ensure compliance with regulatory and internal controls.