Merchandising Manager, Program Management - Capabilities Roadmap
Posted Date: Jan- 7-2019
Job ID: 12981
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Merchandising
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The Merchandising Program Manager, Roadmap contributes to REI’s success by leading critical Merchandising strategies, consistently driving successful outcomes through the identification, prioritization and organization of improvement programs, projects and initiatives. This role supports Merchandising strategy through centralized accountability around improvement solutions across current state, interim state and future state roadmaps. This manager collaborates with key stakeholders within Merchandising and cross-divisionally to gather input, foster support and drive alignment for improvement solutions, ensuring business benefits, resource estimates and end-user impacts are captured appropriately. The position acts as a key change agent for Merchandising. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Identifies and communicates key responsibilities and practices to ensure the organization promotes a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and teamwork to achieve business objectives.
- Supports the implementation of company strategies, process, methods and practices to promote REI key messages.
- Challenges and inspires others to achieve business objectives.
- Ensures employees adhere to legal and operational compliance requirements.
- Provides coaching, direction and leadership support to employees in order to achieve team, department, company and customer results.
- Establishes and maintains visibility within the department.
- Monitors operational progress, reports status, identifies issues and takes appropriate action
- Develops and manages an integrated portfolio/program plan, strategic alignment and associated deliverables with Merch Solutions and IT (e.g. milestone plan, enterprise wide dependencies and impacts, issues/risks, assumptions, constraints and overall program investment, etc.).
- Develop, owns and actively manages the holistic milestone and critical path plan, partnering closely with IT and Merch Solutions team member to ensure achievement of key milestones.
- Identify, document and communicate cross-divisional or cross-project dependencies with potential impact to scope, solution design, resource availability or delivery timelines.
- Actively work with Merchandising Solutions Leadership to create and manage resource capacity and staffing plans for inflight and future projects.
- Performs ongoing risk/issue assessments and manages impact/mitigation solutions; proactively identifies and removes obstacles, escalating as appropriate. Analyze data to determine financial, timing or resource impacts as well as other aspects of options.
- Build and leverage effective cross-divisional relationships to ensure visibility to current and future plans, including scope, priority, sequence and potential conflicts or resource requirements.
- Manage weekly status reporting and communication, including material compilation with cross-divisional partners, meeting facilitation and notes distribution, with a focus on providing advance visibility to significant risks and issues to appropriate stakeholders. Coordinate material creation and review for monthly executive sponsor meetings and quarterly business reviews.
- Develop and leverage a broad set of communication formats and approaches tailored by audience, including stakeholder updates at various levels of detail, project charters/plans, timelines, gap analysis, risk/option assessments, status reports and visual ways to display information.
- Represent the Merchandising division or the Merchandising Solutions team in various forums and venues to socialize and garner support for the Merchandising roadmap and related initiatives.
- Provide leadership and direction to others as needed, including individual contributors, peers and leaders. Manage direct reports as assigned.
- Ad hoc analysis, project management or other coordination of work as requested.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years’ demonstrated experience in program management, process-led solution design and implementation of change initiatives.
- 3+ years’ experience managing large, complex, cross-functional programs and projects with both business and technology focus.
- Certification in project or program management (ex, PMP).
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or a combination of education and highly relevant work experience.
- Knowledge of methodologies, standards and procedures that contribute to the development and deployment of technology solutions.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and proven ability to flex between strategic thinking and effective execution.
- Skills in project prioritization, proactive opportunity identification and problem-solving, issue management and negotiation, and mediation, with strong attention to detail.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Ability to build and foster strong relationships across the organization, from individual contributors to senior management; establishes trust and inspires others.
- Highly collaborative: partners actively and achieves alignment; communication and presentation skills to drive vision and strategy.
- Inspires and achieves results through teams; establishes culture of candor, accountability and speed.
- Acts upon opportunities; involves and influences others in the accomplishment of divisional strategies and goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer