Merchandising Market Insights Manager - Bay Area
Posted Date: Mar-29-2019
Job ID: 13898
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Retail Management
What's cool about this job
This role contributes to REI's success by acting as a liaison between retail, merchants and experience, the Merchandising Market Insights Manager job contributes to REI’s success by querying, synthesizing and delivering actionable retail market insights to the merchant team to enhance local store experience. The position is responsible for the creation and planning of local product assortments and inventory strategies that support overall REI- Coop vision. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Work with internal teams to understand complex market assortment and inventory needs and in turn query, synthesize and effectively communicate customer insights into actionable business strategies
- Develop communication tools, process, and governance for local product and inventory feedback in partnership with merchandising strategy and retail leadership
- Identify unique regional assortment and inventory opportunities both in season and pre-season planning to maximize full-price sales, including events and out of stocks
- Utilize market and competitive insights, plus data analysis to capture and communicate emerging brand and category trends
- Communicate and collaborate with retail, merchandising, visual, OPO and experience managers to execute a local, cross-divisional point of view
- Participate in initiatives to increase or improve consumer data collection and understanding of local customer problems
- Educate retail managers on merchandising strategies and how to effectively communicate feedback.
- Provides coaching, direction, and leadership support to employees in order to achieve department, company and customer results.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3 – 5 years merchandising, retail or direct sales experience, or equivalent
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or Merchandising preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of appropriate assortment planning fundamentals (price ladder, competitive set, target customer analysis, etc.)
- Demonstrated market and trend awareness preferred
- Developed eye for brand appropriate product preferred
- Demonstrated confidence presenting in small and large groups
- Ability to develop strong, collaborative relationships with vendors and cross-divisional partners
- Demonstrated understanding of merchandising math principles – IMU (Initial Markup), MDs (Markdowns), GM (Gross Margin)
Why you'll love it here
By staying true to our roots, we've earned a place on FORTUNE magazine's list of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" every year since the rankings began in 1998. We work hard to earn our reputation for quality and integrity every day. Our core purpose guides everything we do: we all work to inspire, educate and outfit for a lifetime of outdoor adventure and stewardship.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer