Partners Program Coordinator - Scottsdale
Posted Date: Dec-23-2019
Job ID: 16647
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Outdoor Education
Store: Scottsdale Adventure Center
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by the strategic coordination and execution of operational details within the adventure travel program assortment that includes meeting numerous client, vendor and company deadlines associated with the operations of 150-300 departures per year encompassing $750,000-$2M dollars of revenue. The Program Coordinator serves as an operational and multi-tasking expert while seamlessly gathering and communicating departure-specific guest details, managing and executing on vendor deadlines and building and maintaining partner and vendor relationships. The Program Coordinator manages and executes on all guarantee and cancellation deadlines with clients and vendors, processes vendor payments, leads obtaining and negotiating lodging contracts, oversees the booking of campgrounds, processes and obtains special use permits, and secures restaurant reservations or catering arrangements. The Program Coordinator works closely with the Operations and Guide Management teams, along with the guides themselves, to ensure the seamless execution of all departures by closely monitoring field operations, program quality, sustainability feedback, and customer feedback on all programs within their assigned region on a regular basis. They also assist the Program Manager with client invoices, guest count sales updates, trip development and research, backcountry permit procurement, new permit research and compliance, client communication, and upholding client branding requirements. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Gather and review client information including dietary, health, and rooming preferences.
- Assemble Trip Binders for guides and provide input in possible process improvement efforts.
- Communicate with Operations Department and Guide Management about departure-specific needs.
- Track guest participation in all itineraries in spreadsheets as well as tour reservation software.
- Write and maintain internal guide resource documents to help itineraries run as planned (“play-by-plays”).
- Execute on booking campgrounds, lodging, restaurants and catering reservations and add on tour reservations.
- Assist with seeking out new vendors capable of supporting our unique and specific needs and who can deliver on our high standards.
- Manage or influence internal tracking systems revolving around reservations, guest count, deadlines, policies, sales trends, and overall success of itineraries and departures.
- Assist with details, documents and presentations needed for client sales support.
- Research and information gathering to support trip design and development for adventure travel itineraries.
- Participate in the development and updating of pricing sheets in support of our profit margin goals.
- Assist with choosing individual itinerary trip dates for additional date requests and annual departure planning.
- Assist with the research and gathering of initial information for new permits.
- Coordinate with the Operations team for procurement of applicable permits.
- Adhere to all client and vendor requested processes and timelines.
- Uphold branding requirements to ensure we are meeting standards and providing a unique and brand-appropriate experience.
- Review marketing copy and pre-departure documents for accuracy.
- Review post-trip guide reports (PTRs) and guest surveys/evaluations and assist with implementing any itinerary changes or partner communication as needed.
- Act as an operational expert, communicating program information to all applicable stakeholders as needed.
- Execute the building and maintenance of excellent vendor relationships.
- Coordinate assigned assortment operational planning and use of operational resources.
- Assist with ensuring that all developed programs are in compliance with permit guidelines and park interpretations.
- Understand, fully utilize, and continuously improve processes and systems.
- Assist with all invoicing for departures.
- Contribute to the creation of internal and outward processes and policies regarding client deadlines and payments and implement them.
- Required to be on-call and respond to guest and employee/guide emergency phone calls when scheduled.
- Participate in creative and innovative solutions during crisis management.
- Participates in “on-call” responsibilities of the department’s emergency phone when scheduled.
- Respond appropriately to urgent client or employee/guide questions, issues, and situations.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 4-year degree or a combination of education and highly relevant work experience preferred
- 1+ years in Adventure Travel, wholesale travel, tourism, outdoor education, meeting or event planning, guiding or closely related field preferred
- Proven negotiation experience and/or relationship-building skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Google Suite, and web browsing research.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Attention to detail including proofreading and editing.
- Capacity to fluidly switch between working in a team and working independently.
- Ability to task manage in the face of a seasonally fluctuating workload, natural disasters, guest emergencies, and other interruptions. Ability to problem solve, adapt quickly, think critically, and manage time well.
- Appreciation for the outdoors with camping, hiking, travel, and/or cycling experience and knowledge of relevant gear and resources.
- Flexible schedule including weekends, early morning, evenings, and willingness to travel as required by the position.
- Basic accounting experience and/or familiarity with QuickBooks preferred.
- Desire to go into the field on guided tours to familiarize oneself with our product.
- Delivers effective communication verbally, written, and over the phone.
- Exercises discretion and diplomacy always.
- Contributes to a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across the company for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others within the company.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer