Payroll Specialist II - Bellevue
Posted Date: Aug-24-2018
Job ID: 11877
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by performing payroll-related activities in a SAAS payroll environment. This includes importing and balancing hours, earnings and deductions, calculating retroactive pay, maintenance of payroll master data, and distribution of pay. This position is also responsible for issuing & review of daily on-demand payments, and off-cycle payroll processing. This position will assist and support processing of wage attachments. Responsible for monitoring and assisting with responses to cross-functional team and employee inquiries. This position will also act as a SME for various time keeping systems and assists the Payroll Manager with other duties as assigned. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Processes payroll of 13,000+ employees in 43+ states.
- Process typical payroll data including time records, deductions, earnings, maintenance of payroll-related master data, retroactive pay.
- Be a subject matter expert for REI timekeeping systems Workforce and Kronos. Assist others if questions arise with either system. Support updates, upgrades, and configuration changes including documentation, testing, and communication plan.
- Reporting responsibilities include (but not limited to): labor statistics reports, submit New Hire reporting, and employment earnings verification.
- Assist and support wage attachments including employee child support orders, levies, garnishment deductions including answers to various agencies, notifying employees, create employee file, system setup, and payment balancing to jurisdictions for each order.
- Will have an excellent understanding of the payroll processing and laws and regulations.
- Articulate clear answers to both general and out of the ordinary employee questions.
- Requires a high level of accuracy, customer service and confidentiality.
- Assist IT with testing payroll programs or other IT needs as assigned.
- Assist HR with payroll/HR/employee needs or issues
- Assist Payroll Manager and Sr. Payroll Specialists with taxes or other duties as assigned.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 2+ years of payroll experience
- Excellent understanding and practical application of payroll compliance, payroll regulations, and tax principles.
- Proficient PC experience working with Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and integrated Payroll/HRIS solutions (UltiPro a plus).
- Familiarity with automated Time & Attendance Solutions (Kronos & Workforce a plus), Payroll Certification, or classes to work towards certification Payroll Experience in a multi-state environment
- Strong organization skills with high attention to detail and the ability to ten-key by touch.
- Successful work experience demonstrating an ability to communicate effectively, work well with others, use productive work methods, exercise sound judgment and display initiative and innovation on the job.
- Proven ability to set priorities, handle multiple tasks efficiently and work independently.
- Outstanding customer service skills using diplomacy and confidentiality in all situations.
- High level of communication skills exemplifying successful leadership working in a team environment.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer