Photo Art Director
Posted Date: Oct-24-2018
Job ID: 12261
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
Do you love photography? Love the outdoors? Want to work in a place where what you do actually matters? If so, we have the perfect job for you. The REI Co-op is looking for a key member in our evolving photo studio. If you’re a collaborative, talented, creative thinker that values the way you work almost as much as delivering amazing results, we’d love to talk to you.
The Photo Art Director contributes to the Co-op’s success by providing art direction and oversight of studio photography. Working with an Associate Creative Director, studio photographers, editors, and stylists, the Photo Art Director is responsible for leading regular product and on-figure photo shoots, ideating new and innovative styles and techniques, supporting and implementing guidelines for product photography, and partnering with marketing/digital team members to execute conceptual studio photography projects.
- Execute regular art directed shoots for featured products
- Partner with and receive direction from campaign/project Art Directors and Designers and execute according to specific vision
- Create sketches and concepts of laydown/art directed shots in advance of shoots for approval
- Create and maintain studio photo style guides for specific product categories
- Provide oversight to studio baseline and on-model photography on a regular basis
- Socialize style guides with Merchandising and Digital partners seasonally for feedback
- Partner with stylists and photographers to introduce new and innovative product styling, backgrounds, lighting, techniques, etc. for all product categories
- Partner with photo editor to ensure work is uploaded, tagged, and available
- Partner with studio team to create and maintain new, efficient processes
- Maintain regular check-ins with creative directors and studio leadership to keep pace with the work
- Support location photography planning as needed
Bring your passion and expertise
- 3-5 years of experience in a creative design, art direction, or stylist role
- Retail industry background experience — Understands styling basics of apparel and gear, retail cycle, and brings insights
- Passionate about art direction and styling — Stays on top of industry trends, constantly seeks new inspiration, questions the status quo
- Photography background — Able to speak the language and easily partner with photographers to execute on lighting, composition, etc.
- Driven and collaborative — Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-volume studio, partners well with others across the business, and brings new ideas to the table
Why you'll love it here
The REI Co-op is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 17 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. Since its founding in 1938, REI has worked to awaken a lifelong love for the outdoors, for all, through sustainable growth and reinvestment into the communities it serves. In 2017, nearly 70 percent of its profits went right back to the outdoor community, supporting employee retirement, helping fund trail work, returning dividends to its members and supporting nonprofits that get people into the outdoors.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer