Principal Data Scientist, Marketing
Posted Date: Apr-19-2021
Job ID: 19900
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Principal Data Scientist has deep experience and expertise using current Data Science toolsets and techniques to solve complicated optimization problems across the organization. This role will analyze REI’s multi-channel business funnels end-to-end and identifying the biggest opportunities for our customer’s experience, brand and social impact. This role has a major impact on REI’s bottom line as well as significant contributions to our exciting Membership, Social Impact and Environmental priorities!
The Principal Data Scientist is a creative and passionate problem-solver who thinks big, understands the details, acts quickly, and is motivated to develop new approaches to optimizing REI’s business using statistical methods, machine learning algos, and cutting-edge technology. The role requires strong experience solving difficult and ambiguous problems while exploring large scale, interrelated and interdependent opportunities. The role will deliver real improvements and will have a solid understanding of the downstream consequences that upstream process changes can have. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Own strategic thought leadership for the subject of enterprise-wide objectives working with leaders from Strategy, Business Units, Technology and other critical support teams
- Engage broadly with the business and operational leaders to frame, structure, and prioritize measurement strategies and methods across our multi-channel retail ecosystem
- Perform large-scale statistical research, analysis, machine learning, testing, and modeling across multiple areas of the REI enterprise -- from Customer Insights and Behavior through Last Mile Optimization.
- Design optimization algorithms and data products, working with colleagues to develop and deploy software as required
- Work within a close-knit team of Researchers, Data Scientists and analysts providing mentorship, subject area expertise, learning and inspiration to the group
Bring your passion and expertise
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or equivalent Engineering degrees
- 8+ years’ experience implementing large scale end-to-end data science products
- Experience working with raw and prepared data sources in a variety of RDBMS systems (Snowflake, Oracle, TeraData, Redshift etc) and NoSQL environments such as Hadoop, Spark, Athena
- Fluency with statistical and machine learning algorithms such as decision trees, neural networks, collaborative filtering, clustering, survival analysis, graph theory, etc.
- Knowledge of and experience working within cloud computing environments such as AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to successfully communicate ideas and sell strategic plans to senior executives while influencing adoption and successful implementation
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer