Principal Innovation Researcher - Creative
Posted Date: Sep- 6-2019
Job ID: 15164
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
As the nation’s largest consumer co-op, and leading outdoor recreation retailer, REI has been putting its customers and members at the center of our business since our founding 80 years ago. In a rapidly evolving retail landscape, the co-op must continue to challenge itself and imagine new offerings and business models that allow us to stay at the center of our 17-million members’ outdoor lives and awaken a lifelong love of the outdoors in a new generation of customers and members.
To truly become a customer-centric organization, we must develop a deeper understanding our existing and aspirational customer’s behavior, needs and desires. The Principal Innovation Researcher/Strategist will coordinate and lead customer experience research efforts across the co-op, fueling and facilitating innovation efforts and practices across the enterprise. This role will also collaborate with Customer Insight and Analytics teams to map qualitative efforts back to data-based customer information. As the thought leader in this space – this person will help lead a research “community of practice”, uniting research efforts across the co-op around the customer and creating a common foundation of knowledge and insights.
This job contributes to REI’s success by developing a system of research and innovation methodologies—helping define the vision and goals for the Customer Experience function at REI. The role will help ensure customer experience programs and engagements support and align with REI’s customer growth goals (including member retention, new member acquisition, new member diversity and membership program evolution). Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Coordinate and lead enterprise customer experience research efforts
- Establish a best-in-class portfolio of research methodologies from ethnography, field studies, interviews, evaluative usability studies, concept validation, user journey mapping, surveys, scorecards and competitive analysis.
- Lead research “community of practice,” uniting research efforts across the co-op around the customer and creating common foundation of knowledge and insights.
- Facilitate and help lead an innovation and prototyping practice for customer-centric product innovations—encompassing business models, product offering and physical/digital experiences.
- Ensure customer experience programs and engagements maintain and drive REI’s customer goals and growth
- Generate actionable insights that center on customer and create innovation paths for REIs core and emerging offerings.
- Collaborate with customer insights and analytics teams to map qualitative efforts back to data-based customer/member information.
- Leads creative brief process, guiding the POV of the brand identity across teams, working within teams to develop compelling narratives and customer led stories.
- Develops creative briefs that serve as the foundation of brand expression at both the enterprise and individual project level.
- Work with leaders and teams across REI to establish best practices to manage the customer lifecycle
- Be accountable and oversee the execution of an enterprise wide Voice of the Customer program
- Own and lead the common definition of customer personas and journey-mapping across the co-op.
- Partner to utilize existing customer insights and data to systematize recommendations that will further drive growth and loyalty of new and existing customers.
- Develop rapid-prototyping insights function to allow greater speed to market with product and services pilot programs.
- Proven track record of translating insights into strategy and ability to define success outcomes for those experiences which are tracked and measured by research.
- Cultivate a position of thought-leadership: someone who goes to research conferences, is invited to speak due to their expertise, and recognized as being a best in class thinker about the role of quantitative research, innovation and strategy.
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing or related field. Preference of a Master’s degree in HCI, ethnography, cognitive or experimental psychology, sociology, business planning OR a BA/BS in one of the above fields with significant academic or industry experience
- 10+ years in user experience research, design research, product research or equivalent
- Well established portfolio of research techniques from ethnography, field studies, interviews, evaluative usability studies, concept validation, user journey mapping, surveys, scorecards and competitive analysis
- Influential leader who drives clarity, inspires others and delivers results
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and strong attention to detail
- Proven experience in driving action on customer data within the defined customer journeys
- Ability to land actionable change across the customer experience including across channels and key customer moments
- Collaborate cross-functionally with key internal partners, beyond CCO org
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best
- Establishes trust and inspires others
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Fosters change in company direction
- Effectively plans and executes changes
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer