Principal Product Manager, Content and Media
Posted Date: Aug- 7-2019
Job ID: 15212
Job Type: Full Time
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI success by playing a leadership role and providing oversight to REI’s digital representation of Co-op media and expert advice content. The Principal Product Manager will leverage internal and external analysis to drive decisions around the development and vision of the customer-focused product strategy. The position will support the development of a multi-year strategy for digital content publishing, content management, and authoring solutions. The Principal Product Manager will work with stakeholders from across the organization to identify the right business opportunities to address with the right technology solutions. We are seeking a highly experienced product manager with an eCommerce background who can lead this work across web and native applications. This role models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Define creative, high quality, and simple product roadmaps based on team strategy and vision.
- Develop detailed, crisp business requirements and user stories that can be used to create product specifications and architecture.
- Manage prioritization and trade-offs, including the opportunity backlog; a prioritized list of problems that we can solve for our customers to provide value.
- Create buy-in for the product vision with key business and technical partners.
- Work closely with engineering and project management to deliver products.
- Proactively identify and resolve strategic issues that may impede the team’s ability to meet goals.
- Represent the customer and engage with the business to ensure that business needs, viewpoints and objectives are translated into opportunity assessments.
- Work with the product management team to ensure that opportunities are assigned for product discovery by our product development teams.
- Articulate prioritization decisions to stakeholders.
- Communicate status and articulates prioritization decisions to stakeholders; being the voice of the team to stakeholders.
- Advocates supports and contributes to ongoing improvement of our Agile practice.
- Provides consultative direction to senior leaders to determine strategic goals and long-term targets.
- Broad expertise in designing and innovating recognized internally and externally as an expert in their field.
- Delivers lasting impact on business success with cross-divisional influence.
- Works on significant and complex issues where analysis of situations or data require an evaluation of intangibles and/or solutions that are highly creative.
- Demonstrate curiosity, critical thinking, initiative, and flexibility.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 8+ years or equivalent experience managing medium to large projects with both a business and a technology focus.
- 5+ years or equivalent experience leading product development and digital strategy.
- Demonstrated competency with new and emerging cross-channel and web-based technologies, web services, and back-end application infrastructure
- Agile/SCRUM team experience.
- Experience developing products for a mobile customer.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent training and experience.
- Ability to build a strong customer-centric product vision, and create simple solutions to complex problems with competing priorities.
- Proven track record of taking ownership and building effective cross-functional partnerships with CX, Design and Development teams to successfully deliver delightful customer experiences.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with demonstrated experience engaging and influencing senior executives, and communicating technical concepts to a non-technical audience ·
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction set by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of consumer problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Analytical skills with the ability to source and use data to drive decisions, recommendations and actions.
- High attention to detail with ability to consolidate information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and discuss technical concepts, manage tradeoffs and evaluate opportunistic new ideas with internal and external partners
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer