Principal QA Engineer (SAP & OMS)
Posted Date: May-10-2021
Job ID: 20092
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Information Technology
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by designing and strategizing at a portfolio level on how to implement, develop, improve and maintain test infrastructure with a high level of complexity that requires innovation and ingenuity. The Principal QA Engineer also guides the evolution of all test systems through innovation and technical and thought leadership. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Leads innovation for the group by exploring new technology, showing others how to leverage those discoveries through proof-of-concept implementations, and incorporating those into the platform where advised.
- Advocate for technical debt reduction and test technology migration by providing possible technical pathways to solve those items, and prioritizing by impact.
- Drive the definition and adherence to the test development culture of the group, with a focus on innovation.
- Acts as a technical consultant for assigned teams, gaining deep knowledge of those areas’ domains and relevant design patterns, and applying those to project solutions.
- Devises and documents test frameworks, coding standards, preferred design patterns and libraries, and development methodologies for the group.
- Delegate project tasks such as, but not limited to, implementation of test framework, test code, test strategy, test execution accordingly to IC levels.
- Develop and/or review Project Estimates, Test Planning, Test Strategy and Test Model, Environment Strategy, Data Strategy, Mind Mapping.
- Accountable for providing Go/No Go Test Summary, Defect Triage and own E2E Strategy.
- Ensures code quality across all assigned projects with periodic reviews of work to ensure guidelines and standards are followed.
- Keep up to date on industry technology trends; discern issues affecting teams across assigned group; periodically make relevant recommendations about both.
- Works with other technical leaders to define a practical technical evolution path, and ensure proper technology choices for the enterprise.
- Help managers hold QA accountable for their assigned work; provide on demand feedback to QA on the work they produce.
- Mentor QA individuals, growing their skillset by training them on new technologies, advising areas of study, and teaching them about the standard implementations and patterns.
- Helps technical managers refine the hiring process, participates in hiring activities, and helps to onboard new team members.
- Carries authority to make technical decisions when an answer isn't self-evident (e.g. tiebreaker when choosing technical direction).
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent training and experience.
- 10+ years engineering experience with large-scale applications.
- Experience creating and executing QA execution strategies for complex systems.
- Experience designing test model for complex systems.
- Experience developing and maintaining complex automation frameworks and test code.
- Proven expertise in engineering best practices in Unit, functional and non-functional testing.
- Experience in building CI/CD Pipeline.
- Experience working for a large (5000+ employees) retail company preferred.
- Experience in testing Sterling Order Management System (OMS).
- Experience in testing SAP System.
- Ability to apply highly complex principles, theories and concepts of the technical discipline and provide solutions to a wide range of complex tasks, projects and problems.
- Advanced knowledge and proficiency with systems, processes and development, or technical disciplines in a specific field.
- Ability to participate in on-call rotation for 24x7 service requirement.
- Ability to work on multiple assignments simultaneously.
- In-depth knowledge of technical solutions for line of business supported.
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals.
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer