Principal UX Designer, Membership App, Customer Innovation
Posted Date: Jul- 9-2021
Job ID: 20402
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Membership App, Customer Innovation team is looking for a Principal Product Designer. In this role, you will drive a wide range of customer discovery activities across the REI membership space, resulting in exceptional experiences that are highly valued by our members and drive business results.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience tackling ambiguous customer problems, leading and implementing impactful experiences. Additionally, you will possess an exceptional ability to collaborate across teams, present a vision, define outcomes, and be hands-on in implementing the work. You'll be a leader in educating and advocating for the practice of human-centered design, customer centricity, and product led strategies.
Candidates must be proactive, responsive, flexible and able to succeed in a fast-paced, transforming, collaborative environment without supervision.
- Discovers and frames ambiguous problems and drives solutions for one or more critical products or strategic projects on digital platforms.
- Craft artifacts that communicate solutions. Including implementation of prototypes, mockups, task analysis, usability studies, personas, user flows, wireframes, style guides, navigational structures, and affinity diagrams.
- Identifies and leads building out design standards and patterns, style guides, and frameworks for our design systems.
- Advocates for new design standards and practices, in collaboration with product, marketing, and engineering teams.
- Facilitate collaboration with various product managers, engineers, analytics, research, and ensures that the customer’s desires are being fulfilled.
- Contribute to task & dependency analysis, scheduling, and risk mitigation plans.
- Champions user research, leads both generative & evaluative UX research.
- Provide mentorship and coaching to grow team.
- Evangelizes design best practices while uncovering novel and unexpected solutions.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 8+ years experience in UX, interaction design, information architect, Service design or similar plus 3+ years managing and mentoring teams.
- Experience in leadership, collaboration, communicating and influencing product discovery and design strategy.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations when designing for mobile platforms.
- Proficient at building and shipping features/products at an department level, leading the end-to-end experience.
- Demonstrable track record in leading strategic thinking across a large product space, developing product goals, identifying opportunities and outcomes, while continuously developing relationships with cross-functional peers.
- Experience at developing design standards, patterns, style guides, best practices, and frameworks which are accessible and utilize human-centered methodologies.
- Experience presenting work to executives, clearly and succinctly articulating the goals and concepts.
- A portfolio demonstrating excellent UX design skills for solving complex problems with clear results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, HCI, Interaction or similar area, or equivalent practical experience. Preferred Qualifications
- Previous experience supporting retail industry or e-commerce apps and sites.
- Experience in a highly agile/scrum environment.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to lead design teams while maintaining responsibilities as an individual contributor.
REI 10 Essentials
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer