Principal UX Designer, Membership
Posted Date: Apr-28-2021
Job ID: 19698
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
At REI, we believe a life outside is a life well-lived. Since 1938, we’ve been your local outdoor co-op, working to help you experience the transformational power of nature.
Today, we have 6 million active members and are the largest consumer co-op in the United States, but we know that with more members, we can do more. From advancing the outdoor industry’s efforts at sustainability, advocating for national climate change policy, and creating safe and accessible places for everyone to recreate outside, we rely on the passion and engagement of our members to move us forward.
As Principal Designer for the Membership team, you will influence customer-experience strategy and clarify, define, and prioritize customer-focused outcomes within the co-op membership experience. Success in this role means helping to create a culture of experimentation and advocating for human-centered design with cross-functional teams throughout the co-op. You’ll also use your skills in mixed-methods research, problem framing, and opportunity mapping to identify new offerings, test business assumptions, and lead evidence-informed decision-making across the organization.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years in user-experience design or related discipline
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and principles
- Previous experience setting and steering customer-focused strategy for enterprise initiatives
- Strong communication, negotiation, and presentation skills and an ability to collaborate with stakeholders from across the co-op and at all levels of the organization
Bonus Points If You Have
- Previous experience working in consulting or agency roles
- Previous experience in eCommerce
- A degree or equivalent in a related discipline: information architecture, interaction or interface design, human-computer interaction
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer