Principal User Experience Designer
Posted Date: Sep- 6-2018
Job ID: 11705
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: eCommerce / Online
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by creating an improved customer experience on REI’s digital properties by leading the execution and furthering the development of REI’s digital user experience strategy. The ideal candidate excels at using customer feedback, UX best practices, and competitive analysis to determine appropriate user/process flows and interactions. Evangelizes user research and user centered design for best in class customer experiences. Has a proven track record of designing engaging and usable experiences across digital channels. Collaborates with key stakeholders to identify, define and develop the overall user experience. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Sets, communicates and enforces standards
- Reviews functional work to ensure that it is compliant to standards
- Aligns the functional roadmap to support the product roadmap
- Provides functional training for new processes/technology
- Ensures functional tools are optimal and optimized with team
- Evaluates and promotes best practices to improve productivity
- Lead/participates in projects that improve outcomes assigned by manager
- Be a strong advocate for the User Experience discipline at REI
- Promote a culture of innovation, teamwork, and experience design excellence
- Synthesizes insights and analytics to develop and promote recommendations for customer experience improvements across projects or streams
- Inspire and mentor others on the User Experience team by providing day-to-day guidance and feedback on work and career development efforts
Bring your passion and expertise
- 12+ years in user experience or closely-related fields.
- Deep understanding of user-centered design methods and techniques
- 5+ years experience in user research, including conducting usability tests.
- Strong knowledge of UX deliverables such as site maps, wireframes, flow charts personas, functional specifications, and style guides
- Strong knowledge of related disciplines such as information architecture, interaction design and brand communications
- Previous eCommerce design experience
- Previous Mobile design experience preferred
- Previous experience working via agile methodologies preferred
- Degree preferred in related discipline: information architecture, interaction or interface design, human-computer interaction (or equivalent)
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
Joining Digital Retail at REI means you get to work with a team of immensely passionate and talented people, who value the mission of our Co-op and strive to deliver excellence and innovation every day. Our mission is to digitally inspire and enable outdoor discovery by driving a holistic customer-centric experience through collaborative ingenuity as we bring to life the 21st century Digital flagship.
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer