Program Manager - Enterprise Operational Excellence
Posted Date: Jan-31-2019
Job ID: 12814
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Supply Chain / Logistics
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by cultivating the project management skillset and practice across the Co-op, in service of our Operational Excellence vision to engage all employees in meaningful improvement of the business. This position draws from the disciplines of project management and process improvement to build the capabilities and capacity of partner divisions to effectively execute against Co-op goals. Collaborates with project managers across the Co-op to define, build, implement, and continuously improve consistent methodologies, skills, tools, and governance for managing projects. Works with leaders and stakeholders to establish and uphold expectations for project sponsorship and governance. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission. The Program Manager reports to the Director of Operational Excellence. Candidates should exhibit competence in project management, process improvement, group facilitation, problem-solving, and multi-stakeholder communications. This position should hold prior work experience in these areas, as well as Project Management Professional certification or equivalent.
- Standardize the suite of project management methods and tools, based on industry best practices and REI’s current needs
- Integrate project management into our broader Operational Excellence system (which also includes strategy deployment, process improvement, and daily management)
- Develop criteria for types of projects and corresponding approach given the problem at hand, drawing from the disciplines of project management, Lean, Six Sigma, and agile
- Advise on, facilitate stakeholder meetings, and improve teams’ capabilities to define goals, develop plans, execute against them, and monitor progress
- Define and disseminate a common approach to project results measurement and reporting
- Assess needs and current skills, and design appropriate training programs using a combination of internal and external resources
- Drive collaboration with the community of project management experts across the Co-op to seek input, build buy-in, and iterate/adjust our methods over time
- Help build REI’s acumen in portfolio and program management and inform future needs
- Coach individuals and their leaders on how to effectively manage projects
- Contribute to and support other Operational Excellence activities including workshop facilitation, learning events, and problem-solving
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years’ demonstrated experience managing large projects across diverse set of functions and teams
- 3+ years’ demonstrated experience applying a range of structured project management methodologies (e.g. waterfall, DMAIC, agile)
- 1+ years’ experience in a Lean / continuous improvement environment
- Advanced skills in facilitation and multi-stakeholder communications
- Certification in project management (PMP)
- Experience translating strategic objectives into programs and projects, and advising project teams on goals, scope, and approach
- Certification in Lean Six Sigma (Green or Black Belt)
- Retail or outdoor industry experience preferred
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change.
Why you'll love it here
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the awards inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer