Program Manager - For All National Partnerships
Posted Date: Sep- 4-2019
Job ID: 15481
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Public Affairs
Store: REI Headquarters is moving to Bellevue, Spring 2020!
What's cool about this job
Reporting to the Sr. Program Manager, For All Initiatives, this role will contribute to REI’s success by informing and executing on REI Co-op’s “For All” partnership strategy, working across the business to build and develop relationships and experiences that put our members and customers at the center.
This highly cross-functional role will lead the development and evolution of REI’s National For All Partnerships network – comprised of nonprofit organizations, content creators, and brand ambassadors working toward a more inclusive outdoor community. It will guide the growth of relationships, programs, and positioning that connect diverse customers and communities with everything they need to live their best life outside. This position will play a crucial role in connecting and aligning the efforts of other teams that collaborate with these and similar partners; developing essential systems and tools that support the co-op’s broader impact initiatives over the long haul.
We are looking for someone who shares our love for the outdoors and brings broad experience across marketing, corporate social responsibility, and diversity & inclusion. However, passion is not enough: We are searching for a leader who is committed to reinventing traditional approaches to partnership in a role that combines social impact, marketing, brand strategy, and program management.
This is not an HR or social justice role, though experience in those fields is welcomed and valued. This is about bringing a contemporary point of view about diversity, equity, and inclusion that understands both historical influences and new paradigms; and understands the relationship reaching new customers and expressing values in a relevant way to core consumers. The ideal candidate is excited by and understands specific dimensions of diversity and intersectionality; is committed to long-term success and immediate wins; is pragmatic and collaborative in their approach.
Show us through your cover letter and resume why you're passionate about this opportunity!
- This role personifies The Co-op Way, REI’s guiding values and mission to awaken a lifelong love of the outdoors, for all.
- Define strategy, oversee the administration of, and drive the execution for REI’s For All partnerships programs, leading relationships with approximately 20 REI influencers, national strategic partners, and athlete/adventurer ambassadors representing diverse communities.
- Develop annual and long-term For All partner marketing and engagement plans, aligning to REI’s overall strategic objectives, and bringing a relevant, inclusive POV to new audiences.
- Plan, organize, drive, and measure related programming (activations, events, content, etc.) including managing issues, navigating decision making, mitigating risk, managing the project schedule and deadlines for deliverables, negotiating contracts, budget planning and timely completion of event or partnership deliverables.
- Through exceptional internal and external relationship building, source, establish and grow sustainable and mutually beneficial relationships with new partnerships, influencers, and ambassador prospects to acquire new customers and increase brand awareness and engagement.
- Manage other external and business relationships, and represent REI as a brand ambassador in public forums on both Co-op overall and program.
- Act as a subject expert to communicate the co-op’s commitment to women, communities of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and other identified cohorts to internal and external audiences.
- Ensure communication of all cross-functional details and partner with key leaders to ensure programs are aligned and integrated with overall annual marketing programs.
- Source, develop and manage relationships with diverse suppliers to progress how REI’s diverse supplier strategy comes to life in For All Initiatives.
- Lead, organize, and facilitate collaborative cross-functional event project teams including internal, external, and freelance resources. Ensure communication of all cross-functional details.
- Analyze activation feedback data and propose opportunities for change and improvement to stakeholders.
- Manage +/- $1M marketing budget including monthly working plan, forecasting, tracking, and year-end performance.
- Establish and grow internal relationships at all levels of the organization to ensure long-term program development, integration, and growth.
- Design or inform integrated campaigns that differentiate REI, engage our target customers and drive brand awareness, traffic, and sales performances.
- Develop best practices, success metrics and KPIs for program
- Research and analyze trends, opportunities, threats, and social context that may affect the program.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years’ experience in external relations, community relations, marketing, special events or related program area.
- Proven ability to develop and implement strategic plans, inclusive marketing initiatives, and other efforts that positively align diversity and inclusion with business development and co-op culture
- Professional or volunteer experience working in the field of diversity, equity and inclusion
- Highly effective communicator and strategic thinker with the ability to clearly and concisely share ideas, concepts, and proposals in a constructive and energetic manner, to encourage adoption and follow-through.
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to tailor messaging and information for a variety of audiences.
- BA or equivalent in marketing; communications; diversity, equity, and inclusion; public relations or related field.
- Excellent project management and budgeting skills; exceptional attention to detail with the ability to see the big picture.
- Comfort and proven ability to collaborate, align and influence across multiple levels, from floor/line staff to senior leadership teams.
- Demonstrates superb cross-cultural and interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully approach, build trust and relationships, and negotiate across multiple cultures, markets, communities, and leadership levels.
- Intellectually curious, with a continuous learning orientation and ability to self-reflect.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well to produce quality work.
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals.
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and galvanizes others into action around building more diverse and inclusive programs and practices.
At REI Co-op, we believe that a life outdoors is a life well lived...for all. To deliver on that promise, we are working with our 14,000 employees, 18M members and the broader outdoor community toward a reality where everyone has the opportunity to be themselves, to access opportunities and find their place in the outdoors. For us, that means:
- Investing in work that removes the barriers people and communities face to getting outside.
- Delivering relevant products, experiences, and expertise to equip and inspire a new generation of outdoor stewards.
- Cultivating a workforce that reflects the demographics of the markets we serve.
- Leading the industry’s efforts to welcome people and communities historically underrepresented into outdoor media and culture.
Awakening a lifelong love of the outdoors, for all, starts with removing the barriers to inclusion our industry and outdoor media have helped to create. At REI, we recognize that these barriers have disproportionately impacted women, people of color, Native and Indigenous people, LGBTQ+ people, and people with disabilities; and believe in centering the voices and experiences of these communities in the work we do. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities, or who are members of other underrepresented communities.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer