Program Manager - Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
Posted Date: Apr-16-2021
Job ID: 19838
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Human Resources
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
This leader will be an action-oriented and resourceful individual who is capable of quickly taking control of their responsibilities and establishing themselves as a credible strategic partner. This role will work directly with the Director of DEI to elevate DEI across the co-op’s recruitment, development, retention and employee engagement practices and help influence and align strategies across existing bodies of work within other divisions.
This role will act as a convener, consultant, and subject matter expert across the co-op to develop and integrate DEI initiatives across business lines and work with others who are currently progressing our DEI agenda. They will work hand-in-hand with internal partners to evolve and communicate actionable insights and direction to departments, distribution centers and retail stores.
- Support the overall growth and integration of DEI at REI; partner with director to assess where REI is today, build and launch enterprise-wide DEI strategies to accelerate progress.
- Build and program manage DEI initiatives, tracking outcomes, and sharing results to influence co-op wide mechanisms and cultivate an inclusive workplace.
- Drive program objectives through defined project plans; manage implementation activities, and develop processes, documentation and communications for program/process rollout and ongoing support.
- Communicate new/updated programs, policies, and processes to leaders, employees, and cross functional teams.
- Engage in the identification of diversity best practices and benchmarks as input to designing and implementing initiatives.
- Act as a DEI subject matter expert by contributing perspective, insights, and knowledge, and taking a balanced consultative and systemic approach to enable the organization to capitalize on DEI through strategic and tactical/operational execution.
- Provide expert and strategic diversity and inclusion direction, coaching, and counsel to Talent Management and HR COEs on HR programs, people strategies, policies and procedures, conflict resolution, change management, and organizational development to promote an inclusive culture and fair and equitable work environment.
- Serve as primary point of contact for Employee Resource Group leaders to inform and improve governance, framework, and processes and build yearly overarching ERG strategies and goals to continue to enhance employee and business outcomes.
- Build strong relationships across the co-op to develop a deep understanding of the business and increase awareness and understanding of DEI as a business imperative and drive relevant strategies and initiatives.
- Strong collaborator and influencer; ability to reach beyond immediate scope to influence and lead change initiatives with multiple stakeholders.
- Help develop and maintain processes and systems to hold leaders accountable for their support, implementation and eventual ownership of DEI in their divisions and departments.
- Recognize and respond to regional needs by providing tailored strategies and solutions to enable appropriate cultural awareness and change.
- Provide cultural change in support of REI’s ability to deepen its relationship with key diverse segments across employees, customers, and communities.
- Help recognize and respond to regional and local retail diversity needs, issues and initiatives.
- Help build, maintain, and protect REI’s brand equity and reputation among key diverse segments
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s degree
- 8+ years of corporate DEI experience with a record of initiating and furthering business strategies and best practices
- Excellent project/program management skills, successful execution of DEI initiatives from start to finish; ability to operational and scale programs
- Experience designing and delivering DEI learning and development content and experiences
- Demonstrates superb cross-cultural skills with proven ability to successfully approach, build trust, listen, and negotiate across multiple cultures, markets, and community/business employees and leaders.
- Highly effective communicator and strategic thinker with the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex ideas, unique concepts, and proposals to enroll team, peers, and management
- Experience and credibility as a leader in an environment where the ability to influence, work across divisions and build relationships is critical
- Comfort and experience in collaborating with and influencing both floor/line staff and senior leadership teams; galvanizes others into action around building more diverse and inclusive environments.
- Ability to influence others without direct authority to achieve solutions to meet organization’s objectives, and is proactive in providing solutions, resolving issues and overcoming hurdles to results.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and ambiguity.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI's values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer