Program Manager, Strategic Initiatives - Experiences
Posted Date: May-14-2019
Job ID: 14297
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Travel & Adventure
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
In this role, you will contribute to the success by driving the execution of growth initiatives related to the Experiences business at REI. You will work with the Manager of Planning and Integration to implement unique customer offerings that work to progress our Experiences strategy for the Co-op. You will be responsible for turning strategy into plans as well as coordinating and executing on rapid growth initiatives. It is designed and orientated to support a highly entrepreneurial, start-up like environment and will interface regularly with a wide range of cross-functional stakeholders and external partners.
You will manage multiple efforts and ensure that dependencies among projects are appropriately managed. This role models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
Your Planning & Navigating Requirements
- Oversees the management of a portfolio of programs and projects that support Co-Op Experiences strategy at REI
- Develops requirements for programs and projects while continuously evaluating the needs of customers and vendor partners. Identifies and provides recommendations for process and program improvements. Research trends, technologies, opportunities, threats, competitors and other factors that affect the program.
- Initiates, plans, and delivers medium to large cross-divisional, multi-year initiatives. Utilizes established project management methodology or where appropriate, partners with Project Manager(s) in leading/influencing project implementation.
- Ensures program quality and success through management of action items, issues, and decisions, assessing risks, initiating change requests, identifying resource needs, meeting deadlines for deliverables, and financial planning. Appropriately escalate barriers to project managers and department leaders.
- Contributes to New Business Development strategy and roadmap.
- Works with cross-divisional leadership to identify and close critical program gaps.
- Collaborates with the manager to ensure that each program is on strategy, on time and within budget.
- Identifies and provides recommendations for process and program improvements.
- Leads and develops programs and projects that transform process, policy, and systems.
- Manages the progress of programs and projects and regularly communicates the project status to management and stakeholders.
- Facilitates and leads collaborative cross-functional meetings.
- Manages and develops assigned budgets for programs and/or projects.
- Manages both external and internal business relationships with vendors, clients, strategic partners, and agencies.
- May travel to various local and national locations.
- Responds to customer and store requests as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience building and leading teams
- 3+ years of experience managing medium to large cross-divisional, multi-year projects with a business and technology focus
- 3+ years of experience leading program development and omni-channel strategy
- Ability to think strategically in a highly entrepreneurial and ambiguous environment
- Ability to work collaboratively across a complex organization to drive projects and programs forward
- Utilizes quantitative and qualitative insight to inform decisions and program direction
- Certification in program management, process improvement (e.g. Lean, Six Sigma) and/or project management (e.g. PMP)
- Familiarity with the system scope and project objectives as well as the role and function of each new team member
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 22 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 150 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 13,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer