Program Manager, Travel & Local Content SEO
Posted Date: Jan-22-2019
Job ID: 13040
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Marketing
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
REI is seeking a content marketer with a deep knowledge of travel/local content and SEO. This role will contribute to the co-op by setting the content strategy and business objectives of REI’s travel and local content. You’ll be accountable for planning and promoting content based on search volume, business priority and customer demand. Leverage content like destination guides, weekend getaway ideas and local trail round ups to further REI’s travel business and experiences programming.
You’ll be responsible for the planning and strategy of travel and local content publishing on the Co-op Journal—REI’s fast-growing publishing arm. We’re looking for someone passionate about getting people outside, and who can utilize content to make that happen. Your content will help inspire the travel bug, help searchers learn about new destinations, connect hikers and climbers with trails and routes, and ensure REI is showing up in a useful and authentic way across the world.
This role is about using SEO as a source of customer insights to guide decision making on what content is relevant to our members and will drive traffic. Partner with internal and external content creators, our technical SEO team, marketing channel owners, and digital site owners. Clear communication, earning stakeholder buy in and providing direction are paramount to success. You’ll identify demand-driven content opportunities and bring them to life on message, on time and on budget.
You can leverage SEO data to develop content that will drive qualified traffic to REI. You’re up to speed on best practices in content production and optimization, including voice search and Quick Answers. You know how to balance the needs of SEO with on-brand, useful content that can help REI members pursue their ambitions near and far. You have a knack for working with creative partners and educating on SEO best practices.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years of experience in content marketing and SEO
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, English, communications or journalism, or equivalent work experience in ecommerce
- Proven track record of developing travel and local content that is effective and useful
- Instinct for identifying on-brand content topics that ladder up to business strategy. Knowledge of the outdoor community and culture is a plus
- Understanding of how to develop content that is shareable and likely to earn links
- Experience with keyword research and content ideation tools like BrightEdge, SearchMetrics, Conductor, ahrefs, SEMrush or others
- Experience with measuring SEO success through leading indicators like rank tracking, and through business KPIs like traffic and revenue
- Knowledge of YouTube search best practices
- Understanding of the latest content strategy trends and technologies. Knowledge of mobile-first and responsive content development
- Some understanding of UX and Accessibility to develop content that’s great for people and bots
- Ability to champion your content beyond the scope of SEO by identifying opportunities for promotion within other traffic-driving channels
- Building rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the co-op
Why you'll love it here
You get to blend a passion for the outdoors with your work. You get the opportunity to help people expand and develop their relationship with outdoor recreation by developing compelling, useful content. You’ll join an acclaimed content SEO program with two decades of history. You’ll partner with cross-divisional teams including Digital, IT, Public Affairs, Merchandizing, and more. REI’s staff is passionate about the work we do and serving our customers and members.
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer