Real Estate Research and Strategy Manager
Posted Date: Nov-16-2018
Job ID: 12602
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Real Estate
Store: Kent Headquarters
What's cool about this job
The retail market research planner contributes to REI’s retail expansion goals by conducting market and site analysis. The position is responsible for prioritizing our new market entry opportunities, developing site specific sales forecasts and preparing cannibalization projections. Responsibilities include operating mapping software to illustrate market area demographics, transportation infrastructure, competition, member activity, trade areas and possible sites or target areas. Analysis includes traveling to markets to assess the trade area and validate site location and sales opportunity. Responsible for preparing and presenting analysis for site approval to the Real Estate Advisory Committee. Work with key contacts in all divisions to achieve research goals for existing stores and new development.
- Develops prioritized REI new market opportunities for retail stores on a national basis.
- Select markets to study.
- Identify market nodes or locations within a market based upon traffic patterns, market demographics, competitive analysis, retail activity, growth patterns, redevelopment, market study, and occupancy costs.
- Determine optimal number of REI locations in markets and forecast and review sales scenarios.
- Forecast store sales and cannibalization projections. Identify most salient factors driving the analysis (demographics, sister store competition, location attributes, and competitive presence).
- Travel to markets and assess potential locations. (30% of work load)
- Provide decision support and recommendation in both written and verbal presentation formats based on general market knowledge, existing and forecasted sales patterns, member activity and competitive information.
- Prepare & present site research for real estate approval process.
- Provide analysis on optimizing sales and minimizing the impact of cannibalization.
- Function as the GIS expert within the company. Stay current with changes in technology and industry best practices.
- Operate mapping software to illustrate market area demographics, transportation infrastructure, competition, member activity, trade areas and possible sites or target areas.
- Execute demographic analyses to support site and market strategy.
- Conduct new store post-opening analysis.
- Maintain a map library of each store’s member base and sales distribution.
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years experience in retail store location analysis, strategies and sales forecasting tools.
- National multi channel retailer/large box market research analysis experience.
- Proven track record demonstrating site selection principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of numerous U.S. CBSAs. This includes an ability to speak to a market’s primary economic drivers, significant retail nodes, and population growth areas.
- Demonstrated understanding of GIS software – Map Info knowledge is a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct extensive research via the internet and other channels.
- Demonstrated software proficiency: MS Office (including: Excel, Word, Powerpoint).
- Creative and strategic thinker.
- Strong presentation skills, verbal and written communication skills required.
- Independent problem solver with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and participate within a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree: geography, business, urban studies, demographics or equivalent experience.
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our 5.5 million members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer