Senior Accountant - Bellevue
Posted Date: Sep-14-2018
Job ID: 11919
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Finance
Store: Eastgate Headquarters
What's cool about this job
This job contributes to REI’s success by the reviewing, balancing and posting of corporate financial data into the General Ledger in a timely and accurate manner. General responsibilities include: Perform month-end closing activities and more complex account reconciliations, preparing and/or reviewing monthly standard journal entries, cross divisional engagement on special projects, ongoing collaboration with cross divisional partners in reviewing, educating and providing accounting insights and expertise, preparing complex analysis and reporting, proactively driving process improvements within and outside of own team, researching and summarizing accounting treatment recommendations in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). This position must have an excellent aptitude for learning the technical and financial implications of a process and can identify and resolve problems independently. Provides functional advice or training to General Accountants I and II as needed. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Reviews, balances, and posts corporate financial data from multiple systems into the general ledger
- Performs month-end closing activities and complex account reconciliations
- Reconciles balance sheet accounts; identifies and resolves discrepant items
- Works cross divisionally to research questions about financial information, transactions, business changes, etc.
- Regularly engages with cross divisional partners to provide accounting education and insights
- Identifies issues and brings inconsistencies and opportunities to the attention of management. Drives developing and implementing solutions
- Generates custom and ad hoc complex analysis and reporting
- Serves as backup support to other team members.
- Participates in ad hoc projects and assignments
- Solid understanding of internal controls related to accounting and reporting. Proactive in ensuring adequate internal controls within accounting and working with other functions to ensure adequate controls exist for processes that impact accounting
- Identify control weaknesses and inefficient processes; initiates, develops, and implements process improvements
- Researches questions about financial information, and posts correcting entries in accordance with GAAP and internal account definitions
- Contact and resource for auditors; provides audit schedules, account reconciliations, and supporting documentation
- Trains, coaches, and provides guidance to General Accountants I and II relating to more complex accounting processes and reconciliations
Bring your passion and expertise
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, Finance or related field
- 5+ years accounting experience
- CPA license preferred
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Experience extracting and analyzing information from an ERP system
- Knowledgeable and experienced with SAP
- Advanced PC skills with a high proficiency in Excel
- Firm understanding of GAAP and proficiency in technical accounting research
- Consistently demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent follow through and attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to maintain confidentiality surrounding sensitive employee or company information
- Actively participates and collaborates with others on one's own team and across REI for the achievement of business goals
- Flexible in one's viewpoints and positions in order to support the direction taken by others at REI
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Works smart by setting effective work goals, establishing priorities, and planning well in order to produce quality work
- Executes effectively by using resources efficiently, meeting deadlines, and keeping others informed of work plans and progress toward goals
- Clearly conveys and accurately receives information by a variety of methods and in various situations.
- Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization
- Acts upon opportunities and involves and influences others in the accomplishment of worthwhile organizational goals
- Challenges the status quo, champions change and influences others to change
Why you'll love it here
We’re a passionate community of people who believe in one simple truth: an outdoor life is a life well-lived. REI is a co-op, born in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest in 1938. We’re here to help our over 6 million active members have amazing experiences outside—and do the same ourselves. Bring your creativity, customer focus and enthusiasm for living life outdoors—we can’t wait to meet you!
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that has been recognized on the "100 Best Companies to Work For" list since the award's inception – 20 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 140 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 12,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer