Senior Apparel Designer
Posted Date: Apr- 5-2021
Job ID: 19631
Job Type: Full Time
Job Function: Product Design/Development
Store: Seattle HQ
Remote Eligible: No
Please visit the Covid-19 Hiring Updates before applying
What's cool about this job
The Senior Designer is responsible to concept, create and refine compelling designs for high impact products and collections including M/W Outerwear Collection that are inspired, meaningful and brand right. This includes research of trend at macro, industry and competitive levels, combined with knowledge gained from consumer insights to inform design process. The Senior Designer will actively ideate and refine ideas to form a design point of view and reach creative solutions for seasonal product designs. Through the process they will have greater product responsibility and work closely with design partners, materials and development to define all aspects of product design direction. They will be a key partner within the overall design team, with expectation to advance peer and overall team achievements. They will collaborate with partners across REI and overall supply chain to ensure design vision and intent is delivered to REI’s members. Models and acts in accordance with REI’s guiding values and mission.
- Discover, share and apply insights from trend, market, field use, and consumer behavior.
- Possess understanding of activities and consumers. Seeks to gain understanding of future consumers
- Collaborate with Product Strategy team to influence line plan and product brief direction
- Design seasonal and longer range product lines targeting goals and criteria defined in planning process
- Partner with Materials Team to identify specific fabric direction for each product including performance, sustainability, and aesthetic characteristics
- Ideate to explore, create, and stretch direction for form, function, materials and color for assigned styles
- Partner with Design Insights and Testing teams to understand consumer and product end use performance
- Refine concept direction and document design direction in form of specifications to inform prototype process
- Work closely with Development and Factory partners through an iterative prototyping process to reach proof of concept and design hand-off
- Collaborate with creative, operations and merchant teams to support the goals of the brand
- Champion product design excellence in working meetings and formal presentations
Bring your passion and expertise
- 5+ years prior experience in product design/development, BFA in Industrial Design
- Related degree and relevant industry experience may be considered
- Proven ability to create, express, and apply design point of view to guide product direction and deliver compelling products
- Demonstrated behavior to be curious, challenge the status quo, and create continuous design advancement for product and the team overall
- Ability to gather, express, and apply market trends to guide design direction
- Skills to express and develop design thinking with prolific and proficient ideation sketching process
- Skills to advance ideation process using physical prototypes to explore and prove out concepts
- Computer proficiency: Adobe Design Standard, All office tools, 3D experience a plus
- Compelling presentation skills across visual, written, and verbal forms to express design thought
- Affinity to leading within a team environment to inspire and critique each other to deliver better results
- Working knowledge of broad materials and manufacturing process-with ability to research and apply new learnings as required, specialized knowledge in relevant category preferred
- Proven ability to plan and meet deadlines within a product development calendar
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to achieve positive results
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company's best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Domestic and international travel required
At REI we offer an enviable work environment that Fortune Magazine has recognized on the "100 Best Places to Work" list since the award's inception – 23 years in a row! Sure, we work hard, but it’s balanced with time off to play—a strategy that works for us as we continue to grow and thrive. Want to enjoy a workplace where you can be yourself, be heard and be respected while having a job that challenges you? This is the place.
With more than 160 retail locations (and growing), REI offers unique competitive benefits to its more than 15,000 employees, including healthcare, gear and apparel discounts, free equipment rentals and challenge grants to help employees reach personal outdoor goals, generous retirement plan contributions, public transit subsidy, adoptions assistance, paid sabbaticals, and more.
REI is an Equal Opportunity Employer